FarScape Appreciation

Everything else
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Jim wrote:I think it was more for the reason I said. Naturally there were the hard-core fans that loved the show, but I think it was getting too... "artsy". I think it was loosing a lot of it's casual fans as well as it's front office support. When it starts to feel like every other episode is basically an Alice in Wonderland episode, you are not long for this world.
If I'm understanding your term "Alice in Wonderland episode", there were only a handfull of episodes that really fit that discription. Many more others were strong. The three that involved Crichton getting back to Earth, and the last eight episodes. Especially the last trilogy. And the season finale.

And, the outcry from the fans after it was cancelled was enough for Sci-fi to bring it back as a miniseries to wrap it up.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Varthikes wrote:
Jim wrote:I think it was more for the reason I said. Naturally there were the hard-core fans that loved the show, but I think it was getting too... "artsy". I think it was loosing a lot of it's casual fans as well as it's front office support. When it starts to feel like every other episode is basically an Alice in Wonderland episode, you are not long for this world.
If I'm understanding your term "Alice in Wonderland episode", there were only a handfull of episodes that really fit that discription. Many more others were strong. The three that involved Crichton getting back to Earth, and the last eight episodes. Especially the last trilogy. And the season finale.

And, the outcry from the fans after it was cancelled was enough for Sci-fi to bring it back as a miniseries to wrap it up.
Once they knew they were getting the boot they pulled it together to get the story arc back online so that they could salavge some sort of ending. (even though he didn't get home). There was the one ACTAUL Alice in Wonderland episode, but there was a definate out-there feel to a number of episodes early in the last season. I just think people lost interest because of it. It goot a little too corney even for a show with puppets.

Now, don't get me wrong, I did not miss a single episode, but I saw the trend and could see why people were jumping ship.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Weirdness is one of the show's main ingrediants. Every season had a few wierd ones around the middle--at least, from Season 2 onward. Such episodes express crew's creativeness, their originality.

And, those puppets. Ask any of the main actors and they would tell you that when they worked with Pilot, they would often forget it was just a puppet being so real-like.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think that the wakkyness of it added to the shows fan base. It had a huge following but the budget on the show was massive, and as a tv program on sci-fi channel couldn't make the return on its cost.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu