World War One FPS (not sci-fi)

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

World War One FPS (not sci-fi)

Post by Monroe »

I'll find a way to connect this with sci-fi you just wait...

So there's no real WWI FPS games out there. I was playing Call of Duty, another great game from 04 (seems I missed the last 3 years my newest games are all 3 years old lol) and the trench fighting is excellent. But I've got to ask are there any WWI first person shooter games out there? I know the type of gameplay could be limited but there's a lot more to WWI than just the western front.

The closest I've come was a mod for Half Life where you were a time traveler and Xen had invaded 1916 France (told you I would find a way to make this a Sci-Fi post) and you had to fight Germans, French, and aliens. But that doesn't really count.

Anyone know of a game made or being made that is WWI?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sadly, WWI is a very under used setting for war games. The only one I know of isn't even a true WWI game. World War Zero, an alternate history in which the war didn't end in '18, but continued with the Russians attacking America. It reached whole new levels of suckitude.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I can understand WWII continuing through there but WWI the Russians seemed pretty much crippled at the end, hard to imagine how the game developers played that one out.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They didn't explain. It was just 'OMG TEH RUSINS R NVADING!!!11!'.

Like I said, whole new levels of suck.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

Nah the russians weren't crippled so much at the end of the war, as the "new management" didn't want any part of it. lol
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

I think there arent more WWI games because the gameplay wouldnt be nearly as engaging as WWII....only history fans would really enjoy it. Bolt action rifles and revolvers, shoddy technology,the "ok we'll camp in this trech here and you there, and we'll occasionally send a few guys out to get mowed down by a machine gun" style of combat, wouldnt be that fun to play.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Azrael wrote:Nah the russians weren't crippled so much at the end of the war, as the "new management" didn't want any part of it. lol
Didn't they lose more men than all the other allied nations combined? Their daily alottment of ammo was two per soldier. The other allies were supplying the Russian army with guns and ammo. I would call that pretty defeated.
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

they also had the largest army of them all, i think. because they were ready for war again in 25 years, and even after losing the most people again, became the second most powerful superpower in the world.

No i don't think they were crippled. =/

The Boishiveks pulled out of the war after their revolution succeded.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I disagree with you there.
Their troops had virtually no ammo, they had horrible Czar appointed generals (Look towards the Russian-Japanese War), they were losing territory so quickly that Trench Warfare didn't even develop strongly.

Then look at the Finnish-Soviet war. The Soviets, although they won, got their asses handed to them by the Finnish. Stalin had killed or sentenced to Gulag like 4% of the total population. The soviets managed to rack up 100,000 deaths against the Fins. Then when WWII started the Soviets were more afraid of Stalin than the Nazis and refused to fire back because Stalin told them not to do anything that would be seen as aggressive.

The only thing the Russians had going for them was man power. They weren't ready for another war, sure they knew eventually it would happen, all the moves leading up to the invasion of Poland was for the main event, the invasion of the Soviet union but they weren't ready when it happened. There's no way that they could have taken over Europe after WWI. After WWII when their economy had finally recovered from the Great Purge then yes, they could have taken over Europe. But before the Communist uprising they were newly freed serfs in a basic medieval political structure.

^my opinion.
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

I suppose I could do some research in to pre/post world war 1 Russia?