The best thing that could be done for B5

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The best thing that could be done for B5

Post by Graham Kennedy »

One thing I think B5 did fall down on was that while its main characters were excellent, a lot of the minor ones were truly awful. It was quite jarring when it happened, but sometimes there'd be a one off baddie of the week or whatever who would be utterly cliche, spouting horrible dialogue, horribly delivered.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, not a shock really. You have a show built on long running plays and then have a random one show guy.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Chris Propst
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Chris Propst »

GrahamKennedy wrote:One thing I think B5 did fall down on was that while its main characters were excellent, a lot of the minor ones were truly awful. It was quite jarring when it happened, but sometimes there'd be a one off baddie of the week or whatever who would be utterly cliche, spouting horrible dialogue, horribly delivered.
That's true. While Londo and G'Kar were incredibly well-acted, IMO, some people like the telepaths, for example, were really abysmal characters. Plus, Bruce Boxleitner was not exactly the greatest of actors either.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

No Bruce left some things at the door, but he wasnt' bad and he carried the role well. Besides, look who he was up against on that show! He was doomed from the start to be in the second row.
Chris Propst

Post by Chris Propst »

Good point. And also, even though I LOVED the way JMS handled the unplanned casting changes and the "One who was, one who is, one who will be" thing from War Without End is really cool, I always sort sort of wished that Sinclair could have remained in command and eventually have had to travel back in time as Valen and leave Delenn. (This is what I always assumed JMS was planning on doing.)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

His plan wasn't any different from how the show went. Though, Sinclair was supposed to remain a lead character.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Chris Propst wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:One thing I think B5 did fall down on was that while its main characters were excellent, a lot of the minor ones were truly awful. It was quite jarring when it happened, but sometimes there'd be a one off baddie of the week or whatever who would be utterly cliche, spouting horrible dialogue, horribly delivered.
That's true. While Londo and G'Kar were incredibly well-acted, IMO, some people like the telepaths, for example, were really abysmal characters. Plus, Bruce Boxleitner was not exactly the greatest of actors either.
I agree. Boxleitner wasn't the strongest of actors, but Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik were excellent at their roles. Those two characters had one of the show's strongest story arcs and the actors always delivered. Mira Furlan as Delenn was great as well. She could be gentle or fierce.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think most of the caste were pretty good to be honest. Boxleitner was weak, i will admit, and I personally dislike the character. Sinclair will always have my vote as better commander. But Claudia Christian was excellent in her role, as were Jurasik and Katsulas. Furlan was probably my favourite character he ability to vary her tone and actions. Richard Biggs played Franklin very well too.
Chris Propst

Post by Chris Propst »

Deepcrush wrote:His plan wasn't any different from how the show went. Though, Sinclair was supposed to remain a lead character.
Right - but Sinclair's departure created the need to split the protagonist between Sinclair and Sheridan. You can see his plans being laid for Sinclair's character before they got interrupted.

Catherine Sakai's disappearance - Necessity for Sinclair to go to Z'ha'dum as Sheridan eventually ended up doing.

Development of relationship with Delenn - Sinclair was probably meant to fall in love with Delenn, eventually find out he was ( :shock: ) her ancestor, and eventually leave her in a painful departure at the end of the series. Sheridan did this, of course, to go depart and live with the big boy aliens, whereas Sinclair would have left afer the Shadow War to travel back in time and become Valen.

I mean, I could be wrong, but I remember reading something which suggested that from the beginning (The Gathering and maybe, like, the first half of season one) Sinclair was meant to stay the whole time and eventually do all the things Sheridan did, but then by the time of Babylon Squared he was pretty sure he'd be leaving and he used one of his most important backup trap doors.

I think this was one of the best examples ever of making the best of an unplanned situation.
Lemon Wolf
Petty officer third class

Post by Lemon Wolf »

Sorry for necroposting on this thread but the thread really fits into what i am doing in my spare time at the moment.
I thought about a remake of the B5 effects myself and started working on some animations and shots myself with models that are freely available on the net.
Edit: The pictures are somewhat cut :? I guess you need to save them on your disk to watch them fully.

This is a purely fan thing of course so dont expect too much :)
Last edited by Lemon Wolf on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wow! That's very impressive. :shock:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Great work. I especialy like the last one.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Very nice. :) What program did you use for those, Lemon Wolf?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lemon Wolf

Post by Lemon Wolf »

Thx :)

I am using Lightwave 3D (which was also used in the B5 Production) and After Effects.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lemon Wolf, are you a member of the B5tech forum?