Any Jack Reacher fans here?

Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Any Jack Reacher fans here?

Post by Praeothmin »

I first read "One Shot" after the JR movie came out, and I haven't been able to stop since...
I've read them all in haphazard order as soon as I could get my hands on them...
I don't know what it is about the character, i guess his direct, no nonsense approach to any situation appeals to me, and the plots of the books, although far-fetched at times, are always interesting...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any Jack Reacher fans here?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've not read them but I've been thinking of getting into them after the movie came out. From what I've heard they're about like you describe them - implausible silly fun. Very bad villains getting stomped, basically.

Reacher sounds a bit Mary Stu to me, though, which has me hesitant. When I read a hero who's too good, I tend to find myself rooting for the bad guys.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

I would suggest you read the first one to give you an idea...
He's not perfect, has many flaws, and his strengths are well explained...
Fun to read, and sometimes, you don't need a Tolkien or Martin written book to have a fun read... 8)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well I've got a Stephen King lined up (Sleeping Beauties), but I'll give one a go after that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

My first Jack Reacher novel was The Hard Way, and I've been buying them ever since. Lee Child is a frigging genius. I have all of them save one or two and I found the best places to find good books are in second hand stores, like Salvation Army. The only gripe I had with the movies is Tom Cruise himself. He's a short man. Jack Reacher is 6'5". When I read the books, I usually image J.R. played by Dolph Lundgren.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

mwhittington wrote:When I read the books, I usually image J.R. played by Dolph Lundgren.
While I liked Cruise's portrayal in the movies, I also think Dolph Lundgren would have made a very good Jack Reacher...
Even today, he's still jacked, and still looks menacing...
Plus he now has approximately the same age as the character in the books...