4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Terry Pratchett diagnosed with alzheimers

Post by Sionnach Glic »

This really sucks.
Terry Pratchett suffering from Alzheimer's

By Nigel Reynolds, Arts Correspondent
Last Updated: 2:41am GMT 13/12/2007

Terry Pratchett, the bestselling author of the Discworld fantasy books, is suffering from a rare form of early onset Alzheimer's.
# Terry Pratchett's 'Embuggerance' statement in full

The 59-year-old author revealed the diagnosis on a website today and called it "an embuggerance".

His announcement, in a statement posted on the website of his illustrator Paul Kidby, "should be interpreted as 'I am not dead' ", he insisted.

The author said that he was taking the news "fairly philosophically" and "possibly with mild optimism" and that he expected to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments.

Earlier this year Pratchett underwent medical investigations after he started having problems with hand-eye coordination and dexterity.

An MRI scan showed some areas of dead tissue and it was suggested that he had suffered a "mini-stroke" some time in the past few years and that he was now living with its legacy.

In his statement, Pratchett said that it had now been discovered that the early onset Alzheimer's "lay behind this year's phantom 'stroke' ".

Pratchett published his first short story when he was 13 and has gone on to become one of the world's most prolific and successful fantasy and science fiction authors, writing on average two new titles a year. He has sold more than 55 million copies of his books worldwide.

He is best known for the Discworld books - a series of almost 40 humorous and satirical fantasy novels set on the Discworld, a pizza-shaped planet which floats through the universe on the back of four elephants which in turn are standing on a giant turtle.

The stories feast on magic and chaotic logical absurdities.

Many literary critics have turned up their noses at the books, though others have compared him to P G Wodehouse, Douglas Adams and Jorge Luis Borges. He has also written children's books, including The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents which won the prestigious Carnegie medal for children's fiction.

He was awarded an OBE in 1998.

"I am sometimes accused of literature," he has joked.

In today's statement he said: "I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news.

"Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet."

In a postscript, he went on: "I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'.

"I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell.

"I know it's a very human thing to say 'Is there anything I can do?', but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry."

Publishers wishing to reproduce photographs on this page should phone 44 (0) 207 538 7505 or e-mail syndication@telegraph.co.uk
AN EMBUGGERANCE
Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early
onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I
expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet.

Terry Pratchett

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should
be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as
will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell.
I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I
would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.
I met Pratchett myself once, he's a nice guy, signed my copy of Night Watch. I can only hope that he has a good few years ahead of him yet, the day such a brilliant mind is lost will be a sad day for humanity. :cry:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Alzheimer's is a cruel disease for anyone, but for such a rich, fertile imagination, and to have it while still quite young, it seems so much more cruel.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

*Moment of calm silence*
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

One of my friends has recommended Discworld to me. Looks like I'll take a look into it... :( So sad, here. Such a merciles disease.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You should really pick the series up. Pratchett is the master of wit and humour, better even than Douglas Adams (in my opinion, anyway), and his characters and plots are all brilliantly done.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Can't we bestow this upon John Voornholt?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Who?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

WHAT!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *huff, huff* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

*keels over and dies*