ST Destiny: Gods of Night

JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

ST Destiny: Gods of Night

Post by JudgeKing »

This is one of my favorite ST Books in that the Borg aren't lumbering morons, starfleet is getting smart, and the Columbia crew being desperate. I liked how the USS Ranger took out a Borg cube by phasing itself to go the Borg shields and ram the Cube. The invasion is awesome. Martok bitchslapping some of the council members was also badass. Counselor Troi also acted quited irrationally in regards to her inability to have children and also that she needed to get an abortion to save her own life. There were several emotional scenes like Admiral Paris' message to Commander Paris and Picard's going off the deep end in regards to the Borg. This is in general a great book.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: ST Destiny: Gods of Night

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Inteligence in Trek? How bizzare. I might actualy have to pick it up at the library.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Rochey wrote:Inteligence in Trek? How bizzare. I might actualy have to pick it up at the library.
Intellegent Moments
1) Titan crew preparing for encounter with Borg ships.
2) Borg actually being proactive rather than reactive.
3) USS Excalibur crew phasing their torpedoes to destroy a Borg Cube.
4) MACOs destroying a Caeliar city ship.
and a whole lot more.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Not sure how Phased Torpedoes would help destroy a Borg Cube. The way I understand it, a Cube's systems are spread out pretty much evenly throughout the ship - if you inflict heavy damage on one part there's several other redundant systems that can kick in immediately. Are the more sensetive systems further inside the ship?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

kostmayer wrote:Not sure how Phased Torpedoes would help destroy a Borg Cube. The way I understand it, a Cube's systems are spread out pretty much evenly throughout the ship - if you inflict heavy damage on one part there's several other redundant systems that can kick in immediately. Are the more sensetive systems further inside the ship?
In "Greater Than The Sum", Hugh explained that the Borg began centralizing their systems in response to Species 8472. The Excalibur fired off all of its torpedoes at the cube and was quite damaged in the process.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

FC seems to suggest that there are vital weak points in a Cube.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
cbosdell
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by cbosdell »

This novel is indeed most excellent. I am now impatiently awaiting for the third and final book in the trilogy - 'Lost Souls' to be delivered. From what I hear it's as good as the first and second!
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

cbosdell wrote:This novel is indeed most excellent. I am now impatiently awaiting for the third and final book in the trilogy - 'Lost Souls' to be delivered. From what I hear it's as good as the first and second!
Complete destruction of the Borg, Captain Bateson reappears, more TR-116fu, 87 billion dead and 40 percent of Starfleet destroyed. Oh, and the origin of the Borg. What more could someone want in a book.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

JudgeKing wrote:
cbosdell wrote:This novel is indeed most excellent. I am now impatiently awaiting for the third and final book in the trilogy - 'Lost Souls' to be delivered. From what I hear it's as good as the first and second!
Complete destruction of the Borg, Captain Bateson reappears, more TR-116fu, 87 billion dead and 40 percent of Starfleet destroyed. Oh, and the origin of the Borg. What more could someone want in a book.
Pictures? :lol:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Too bad it's not cannon.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
cbosdell
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by cbosdell »

No it's not canon, however it is an officially licensed Star Trek novel that was read and approved by CBS Consumer Products. It is much more official than fan fiction so until there is another 24th Century Star Trek Series or Movie it is the official continuation of the star trek universe.

I just finished reading Lost Souls and it was excellent. Destiny is without a doubt the best star trek story I have ever read. I can't recommend it enough. I only hope 2009's follow-up novels (A Singular Destiny, VOY: Full Circle, TITAN: Over a Torrent Sea, TNG: Losing the Peace) live up to it. :mrgreen:
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

cbosdell wrote:No it's not canon, however it is an officially licensed Star Trek novel that was read and approved by CBS Consumer Products. It is much more official than fan fiction so until there is another 24th Century Star Trek Series or Movie it is the official continuation of the star trek universe.

I just finished reading Lost Souls and it was excellent. Destiny is without a doubt the best star trek story I have ever read. I can't recommend it enough. I only hope 2009's follow-up novels (A Singular Destiny, VOY: Full Circle, TITAN: Over a Torrent Sea, TNG: Losing the Peace) live up to it. :mrgreen:
All I really need to read now are Mere Mortals, Lost Souls, and The Romulan War. And the post-Destiny novels.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

cbosdell wrote:No it's not canon, however it is an officially licensed Star Trek novel that was read and approved by CBS Consumer Products. It is much more official than fan fiction so until there is another 24th Century Star Trek Series or Movie it is the official continuation of the star trek universe.
No it isn't. There are two types of Star Trek - canon and non-canon. Regardless of whether something's an officially published novel or fanfiction, it has the same canon status. Pity, because many novels (such as New Frontier and, apparently, the DS9 relaunch) are considerably better quality than most post-DS9 live-action Trek.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Beat me to it, Seafort. This isn't 'Wars, with it's eighteen tiered heirarchical levels of canon. Paramount gets to say what's canon or not, because they opwn the franchise - and as of now it's this: onscreen=canon, everything else=not.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Still gets to be a damn good story, though.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.