Mary Shelly's Frankenstein

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Mary Shelly's Frankenstein

Post by Sonic Glitch »

We just finished reading this in AP English. I enjoyed it, and ended up liking the creature a little more than Dr. Frankenstein. Anybody here read it? And what did u think?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Mary Shelly's Frankenstein

Post by Mikey »

I read it about a million years ago, but I always thought it was a bit obvious about the philosophical themes. Good writing, though. I prefer Stoker's Dracula, but many people seem to find it tedious to get through the some of the Dickensian narrative bits.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I read Dracula in 7th grade. It took a bit to get through but I enjoyed it.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I am fond of classic fiction, even if the only exposure i've had to it was Jane Eyre, which i am reading at the moment. It's beautifully written, and has a good Women's rights message, even if it is a little blatant.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:I read it about a million years ago, but I always thought it was a bit obvious about the philosophical themes. Good writing, though. I prefer Stoker's Dracula, but many people seem to find it tedious to get through the some of the Dickensian narrative bits.
I've never read Frankenstein, but I agree that Dracula is excellent, particularly the way Stoker managed to maintain a coherent plot while hopping around between half a dozen different narratives.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Exactly. The bits I like - using different styles of narrative to express different POV's - is the bit the same people think of as too much work to get through.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I can understand where they're coming from - it can be tricky to keep track of who's narrating what, and in the hands of a less skillfull author the technique can reduce an fundamentally interesting plot to an incomprehensible mess. David Feintuch tried it in "Voices of Hope", and as a result it's the by far the weakest of his novels IMHO.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm not familiar with Feintuch, but most of the complaints against Stoker which I've heard can plausibly be attributed to lazy readership. Reading Dracula is hardly instant gratification.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Reliant121 wrote:I am fond of classic fiction, even if the only exposure i've had to it was Jane Eyre, which i am reading at the moment. It's beautifully written, and has a good Women's rights message, even if it is a little blatant.
We read that over the summer for AP English. I didn't hate it nearly as much as I hated Dinner at the Homesick Resteraunt...a "modern" classic.
I like Kiss & Tell (a book about writing biographies) and A Tale of Two Cities.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I can't bear Dickens. His credo: "Never say in five words what you can say in 82."
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:I can't bear Dickens. His credo: "Never say in five words what you can say in 82."
That was the only brain melting part.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I know that I grew to feel more for Adam (the Monster) than Dr. Frankenstien. He just seemed like a victim, who quite simply lost it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'ma biting the bullet, and reading War and Piece volume 1 at the moment.....i like it so far.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:I know that I grew to feel more for Adam (the Monster) than Dr. Frankenstien. He just seemed like a victim, who quite simply lost it.
Indeed.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Dude, don't steal my pointless one word answers. :P
I can't bear Dickens. His credo: "Never say in five words what you can say in 82."
Utterly agreed.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"