Harry Dresden Files

Harry Dresden Files

Postby Atekimogus » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:15 am

I recently finished the Dresden Files and admittedly I have become a fan. It seems most of urban fantasy nowadays is dominated by female authors using these settings for thinly veiled romances so I found Butchers rather practical approach to the supernatural world rather refreshing.

Also, while the first couple of novels where rather mediocre and cliched it is amazing how you can literally read how the author improves with each book. (Took me a week to read the first novel, two nights to read the last one..... :wink: ).

Unfortunatly I once again couldn't wait till the series is complete (I hate waiting a year for the continuation) so now I am currently out of stuff to read, so my question is....something similar out there? Anyone read the second novel-series from Butcher? Any good?

Any recommendations?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Harry Dresden Files

Postby Teaos » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Well Conn Iggeldon stands as one of my favorite authors although he does historic fiction. The Sword of Truth series is both epic and finished.

But I agree the Dresdan files are great. I love the character growth.
Teaos
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Postby Sonic Glitch » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:31 am

Always nice to see another Dresden Files fan. I got drawn in by the SciFi channel series and haven't been able to get out since. I agree, the improvement in the writing quality from the first to the most recent books are astounding. I mean, Butcher never really made a secret of the fact that they are formulaic books, but he is great at keeping the formula interesting. Hopefully Cold Days will hit shelves soon -- perhaps during the (North American) winter months :happydevil:

I swear a couple of books (Dead Beat) or the entire series could make a great miniseries...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Postby Teaos » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:44 am

New book out this May.

If anyone hasnt read this series I would highly recommend it.

The first two books are okay but not great, but the series quickly gets epic after that, the third book is where the books start flowing one into another, with the 15th out soon.

Great Urban fantasy.
Teaos
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Postby katefan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:38 am

I found book three to be complete shit and I gave up on the series partway through book four.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Postby Sonic Glitch » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:45 am

katefan wrote:I found book three to be complete shit and I gave up on the series partway through book four.

Pick up Dead Beat and try again :P
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Postby Teaos » Mon May 26, 2014 12:07 am

New book is out in 2 days. I would highly recommend this series to anyone who like fantasy or mystery books. It does start off slow. But book 4 or 5 starts a plot arc that runs all the way up to the current book.
Teaos
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Return to Books