Might be time for a new mouse...

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Might be time for a new mouse...

Post by LaughingCheese »

So I have a logitech g700s.

I bought it not to use it wirelessly, but so I could in theory unplug it from my desktop system and take it outside with my laptop (my room is the hottest room of the house).

Unfortunately the connector (its a usb-c micro) seems to be failing me; as it disconnects every so often.

So, back to wired mice I think. Wireless just isn't there yet.

Also I think my hands like longer mice too as opposed to the short but tall g700s.

So what brands other than logitech would you recommend?

Thanks

LC
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Might be time for a new mouse...

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Is this the mouse you're referring to: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/produc ... ming-mouse?

Hmm, I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo which has given me little trouble. One difference is that mine is a "standard" media setup as opposed to gaming oriented devices (mouse has dedicated forward, back buttons in addition to scroll wheel and keyboard has media/volume controls). I'm not sure if the USB dongle for this mouse is the same "Unifying Receiver" Logitech uses on many of it's peripherals - it may not be as it's a gaming mouse. It's possible Logitech support can send you a replacement adapter (they sell spare Unifying Receivers for $10). Are you sure it's USB "C" - that refers to a very new USB 3.1 port?

If you're uncomfortable with the mouse and want to move on, I'm not sure I can offer advice on that type of mouse.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Is this the mouse you're referring to: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/produc ... ming-mouse?

Hmm, I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo which has given me little trouble. One difference is that mine is a "standard" media setup as opposed to gaming oriented devices (mouse has dedicated forward, back buttons in addition to scroll wheel and keyboard has media/volume controls). I'm not sure if the USB dongle for this mouse is the same "Unifying Receiver" Logitech uses on many of it's peripherals - it may not be as it's a gaming mouse. It's possible Logitech support can send you a replacement adapter (they sell spare Unifying Receivers for $10). Are you sure it's USB "C" - that refers to a very new USB 3.1 port?

If you're uncomfortable with the mouse and want to move on, I'm not sure I can offer advice on that type of mouse.
Yes, that's the mouse. Honestly I don't care about gaming features. As I said, I got partly for the wireless, but also partly because I intended to use it wired on my desktop, wirelessly on my laptop.

Sorry, no, thats a regular USB 2 Micro C connector, and yes, I'm not plugging it into my motherboards USB 3 [only 3, not 3.1].

And I suspect the problem is with the connection on the mouse itself...I've heard USB Type C dies a lot. This is the first time I've had the misfortune of experiencing it.

Honestly any wired mouse will do, I guess I don't want something too cheap, you know, you get what you pay for and all.

Thanks

LC

EDIT: I'm not quite sure if I fixed the issue but it is happening less frequently.

There seems to be a stupid power saving feature that powers down usb ports but for some reason it was just going nuts. This is now disabled and the disconnects are happening far less frequently. I"ll report back if this has in fact fix the issue.
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Actually it's USB micro b ('C' only refers to a new reversible connector for USB 3.1). Anyway, any kind of connector can wear out if plugged and unplugged frequently. It certainly happens a lot on phones and I've had it happen to portable HDDs.

Yeah, a wired/wireless combination is a niche feature. I'm not sure where you're located (though if not in the US you can use this to look up a mouse and find it elsewhere). There are category listings for both wired and wired/wireless at newegg. In fact sorting the wired category for best rating puts a fairly basic mouse at the top:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 7M93490463

The high number of ratings may be partly because it's an older model which has been around on the site a while but the high fraction of positive votes is still notable. Although I might prefer to test something like a mouse in person for comfort, we have a few Microsoft-branded mice at the shop and they do seem pretty reliable.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Actually it's USB micro b ('C' only refers to a new reversible connector for USB 3.1). Anyway, any kind of connector can wear out if plugged and unplugged frequently. It certainly happens a lot on phones and I've had it happen to portable HDDs.

Yeah, a wired/wireless combination is a niche feature. I'm not sure where you're located (though if not in the US you can use this to look up a mouse and find it elsewhere). There are category listings for both wired and wired/wireless at newegg. In fact sorting the wired category for best rating puts a fairly basic mouse at the top:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 7M93490463

The high number of ratings may be partly because it's an older model which has been around on the site a while but the high fraction of positive votes is still notable. Although I might prefer to test something like a mouse in person for comfort, we have a few Microsoft-branded mice at the shop and they do seem pretty reliable.
Apologies, I certainly do know how to browse for peripherals, I'm just wondering if anyone has a particular preferance or experience with someone other than Logitech. I've always used Logitech mice until now.

Granted, again, the issue may be with USB and not necesarily Logitech.

Also, as I said, I fixed a power setting that caused USB devices to be "selectively" suspended. The disconnects are happening much less frequently now, although I did have one earlier, but its been much better so far.

Thanks for the suggestion tho!