Smart watch

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Smart watch

Post by Teaos »

Anyone here have a smart watch? Due to my job I have several relitivly expencive dress watches to wear with a suit so have no desire to wear one as to me they all look tacky as shit.

But in terms of functionality, I just dont get it, when I got my first iPhone, I replaced my camera, ipod and cellphone. It was fantastic.

This doesnt seem to add anything new unless you do a lot of work outs and sport (And then you can just get an attachment for your smart phone.

From what I have read on sales figures and the like, this is going to be a niche product.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Smart watch

Post by Reliant121 »

I myself don't have them but both my mother and father have them of differing Operating systems.

Mother has an iWatch. It's beautifully crafted and the battery seems reasonable. The interface reminds me of the iPod's with swipe based gestures. My Dad has the Motorola watch (can't remember its name). It's pretty basic but it definitely does the job and the battery lasts forever. They effectively serve as a second notification service for both of them as my dad is useless at hearing his phone. They have some extra fitness equipment etc.

Myself I'm not overly bothered by them. But I don't wear watches at all.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Here's the $64,000 question: if you're not tracking fitness stuff and can hear your phone alright, is there a point?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

No.

I'll drop an IBAN and Swiftcode via PM :P
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

It's a bit of an odd turnaround: just as the rise of cellphones (smart or otherwise) seemed to make (dumb) watches less relevant these phone accessories emerge. I just find it hard to see what can be done on such a small screen aside from... telling time (pun half intended, if that's a thing).
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

They do give you quite a lot of information at a glance. IE it will show the headers and subjects of emails/texts, it will allow you to see who is calling you (and therefore whether it's worth digging out your phone to answer it). Ultimately though it's an extremely expensive duplication of what the phone can already do IMO.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I suppose that's just it. A few snippets of limited but useful info when you'd need to pull out the phone to do any real work anyway, but for the price of a full low-end phone. Maybe they'll be more appealing when the technology to make them reduces their price to something commensurate to the accessories they are. It's hard to see them as feature devices.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I also think it suffers from what Google Glass did. You look like a douche wearing it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:I also think it suffers from what Google Glass did. You look like a douche wearing it.
But an elitist millenial douche, which I firmly believe is the reason that more than half of thoe owners of such devices actually have them.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Perhaps we should change the name of this thread to "Sweeping generalisations" :)

No I don't have one.
email, ergo spam
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I've an original Pebble Watch. One of the cheapest available, works 3 or 4 days on 1 charge easily, and has an electronic ink screen so its readable in daylight.

Its far from a necessity, but its damn useful. When my playing music from my phone through speakers at work I can control the media player from wherever I am. I don't have to keep going back to my desk to check emails all the time. And it saves me digging my phone out my pocket when I'm walking home at night.

Can also relay walking directions from Google Maps so you don't have to walk round looking at your screen.

And incidentally, I'm far from an elitist, and I don't care what the damn thing looks like on my wrist, its a tool and a very useful one. As is the battery case I have which turns my phone into a brick - it means I can leave the house without worrying my phone is going to die before I get back. Hell, the damn thing will run 2 days with heavy usage easily.

I get that not everyone has the same needs from their devices, but people often assume that because they've no need for something it must be useless.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Geez, I said "more than half," not "all." Touchy much?
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

My cousins got in 2013 for Christmas and they had it for all of one month before they returned it. They found like most of us will think is that 95% of the time you will have your phone and it just easier to look at your phone.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I should also point out that the other reason is you are talking to your wrist which basically is similar to speaking on speaker phone. So people can hear your conversation.

Can't use the edit button without weird quirkiness.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Got the Pebble watch because of this thread and love it. As a female in NYC, I don't like pulling out my iPhone when I'm walking around. With the watch I don't have to .
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess