Windows 10 coming soon

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Windows 10 coming soon

Post by LaughingCheese »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:So its very close, apparently.

Anyone else get that upgrade notice if you're on Windows 7?

I'm mildly tempted but, I just don't especially like things like cortana being baked into the OS.

I'm just a little bit afraid of the direction technology is going.
I, for one, welcome our new technological overlords.

As a Windows phone user I'm used to Cortana and find it(her) a useful tool -- as long as she doesn't go full killer robot the way machines with personality are wont to do.
That said, I understand the reservation. Here we are on the cusp of Star Trek-like levels of interacting with computers and data gathering/usage, but none of the "more evolved sensibilities'" that came along with it.

I guess I'm just a pessimist. :P

Slightly off topic (but thats what we do best at DITL right? :P), I read/saw something that pointed out that it will be a very long time before robots are self sufficient enough for a Skynet scenario.

There will instead be a large period in between where the biggest danger is from those controlling the "robots," i.e. drones I guess.

Seems accurate to me; I'm really skeptical about "thinking" machines anyway so that makes more sense.

What happens when dictatorships have access to fully mechanized and remotely operated war machines? Will wars be even more frequent then they are now? And much larger scale? I think that's a scarier future really.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Somehow I don't think that even Microsoft comes in a "fully mechanized and remotely operated war machine" edition ;)

Thinking about that it would give a whole new meaning to "Blue screen of death" :happydevil:
email, ergo spam
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. It's got problems, mostly in the browser window.

For example, here at DITL, the LCAR buttons on the homepage and red framing there and everywhere else on the site don't show. The buttons show, but not as they're supposed to be.

On Youtube, some of the controls don't show--like the Play/Pause/Replay, Mute, Next, Watch Later, Settings, Full Screen buttons on the video screen. A number of other buttons don't show, either. They are all there, but you just can't see them. This problem is the same on every site I've been to since the "upgrade".

I've tried it both in Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Same problem.

From what I've read, Windows 10 was rushed out the door for Back to School, and improvements are supposedly in store for October. I guess I can hold on until then.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Varthikes wrote:I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. It's got problems, mostly in the browser window.

For example, here at DITL, the LCAR buttons on the homepage and red framing there and everywhere else on the site don't show. The buttons show, but not as they're supposed to be.

On Youtube, some of the controls don't show--like the Play/Pause/Replay, Mute, Next, Watch Later, Settings, Full Screen buttons on the video screen. A number of other buttons don't show, either. They are all there, but you just can't see them. This problem is the same on every site I've been to since the "upgrade".

I've tried it both in Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Same problem.

From what I've read, Windows 10 was rushed out the door for Back to School, and improvements are supposedly in store for October. I guess I can hold on until then.
I haven't seen that but odds are a certain fraction of upgrades out of the millions being done will run into errors. You might consider using the reset function in Windows 10 (under Settings > Update and Security), though you should back up any documents, pictures, music, etc before doing this. That should clear everything and get you a clean install (but a working one).
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Had I used that reset function, I would have lost the ability to go back to Windows 7. So, I decided to go back and wait for the improvements to be made.

It might have been alright had I left everything on the default settings, but I don't like the default white background in WordPad, Notebook, and Word/OpenOffice, so I had it set to sky blue. Windows 10 wouldn't allow me to do that. The customizations they offered were too limited.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Varthikes wrote:Had I used that reset function, I would have lost the ability to go back to Windows 7. So, I decided to go back and wait for the improvements to be made.

It might have been alright had I left everything on the default settings, but I don't like the default white background in WordPad, Notebook, and Word/OpenOffice, so I had it set to sky blue. Windows 10 wouldn't allow me to do that. The customizations they offered were too limited.
Though MS is treating 10 as an evolving OS more than a big release carved in stone until the next big release, I'm not sure this a matter of 10 not being solid as much as something going wrong in the upgrade process. Of course I'd understand if you don't want to risk trouble again.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

4 computers no updated to windows 10 without any issues. In fact I find windows 10 much improved over 8 and still retains the usefully light codes etc so it runs well on low powered laptops.