Android 5: "Add payment info to 'complete setup'"

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Android 5: "Add payment info to 'complete setup'"

Post by LaughingCheese »

As if its not enough that we give them all our browsing data, now Google demands we give them our credit card numbers in order to "complete account setup"?

To clarify, I recently got a Nexus 7, updated it to Android 5.0.1 or something, and now every so often Google bugs me about "completing my account setup," which involves giving them my credit card number (or pay service such as amazon or pay pall but still...).

I find it disturbing because I NEVER save credit card info to these websites/clients such as origin or steam.

And thankfully too, since my Origin account was hacked recently (I was able to get everything back and EA's customer service was great, it was a completely painless process so kudos to them for that).

My concern is that right now its a mere annoyance; you can skip it but it keeps popping up (admittedly I haven't tried looking to see if you can shut it off completely).

But I'm concerned that one day it may actually become mandatory and that really angers me; because what happens if(when) another gmail password dump takes place or something else?

I plan on installing Kubuntu or some other distro on the nexus soon, this may just speed that up. ^^

Doesn't this bother anyone else? :?

EDIT: Perhaps I should see if cyanogen mod exists on tablets as well...

EDIT 2: Oh kewl...

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_flo
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Android 5: "Add payment info to 'complete setup'"

Post by Reliant121 »

It bothers me a great deal and if that's the route Android is taking by and large then I have an issue. I've not noticed it on any of my previous Android devices and there are plenty of them to choose from. I don't believe Apple are the same? If that is the case and this becomes a habitual thing for Android I might find myself finally leaving.

This would suggest however that setting up your credit card details is optional for google wallet?