A couple of issues with new system.

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

A couple of issues with new system.

Post by LaughingCheese »

I got my first ssd not too long ago; a Crucial MX100 256GB.

Got Windows set up on it and all, only to find out that a game that I love, Command and Conquer Red Alert 3, absolutely refused to work.

I was getting errors like it could not find the program or something.

Eventually I traced it to being a compatibility problem between the 64 bit system and the game being 32 bit.

However, Red Alert 3 worked fine on my 1TB WD Blue drive with the same os so it was another 64 bit system, NEVER had any issues.

The only thing that changed was the storage medium; the new SSD.

Could it be something about the ssd that is causing Windows to all of a sudden not be able to load 32 bit programs?

Also, I bought the same drive again, hoping to set up a multi boot system with linux.

However, my attempts to install it were thwarted by the UEFI.

I tried turning off secure boot, but it still wouldn't seem to work.

Here's a screenshot of the error it spit out; looks more like it just imploded or something:

http://imgur.com/oSJDxoF

So weird that the storage medium could affect things so much. I presume its the storage medium 'cause that's the only thing that changed.

Any ideas? Is this a common thing with ssd's?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: A couple of issues with new system.

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

II haven't heard of issues of this sort attributed to SSD (assuming the drives are healthy). Which distribution of Linux did you try? What version of Windows is loaded (7/8/8.1)?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: A couple of issues with new system.

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:II haven't heard of issues of this sort attributed to SSD (assuming the drives are healthy). Which distribution of Linux did you try? What version of Windows is loaded (7/8/8.1)?
Windows 7 Pro, I was trying to install Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS from a san disk usb drive.

I showed the error to a friend and he said it looked like an issue with the usb drive itself. ><

Although I love the speedboost, I'm tired of these issues. I think I'm going back to my hard drive, and I think I'll put the ssd's in raid and try installing linux via cd, so, I'll let you know how that goes.