Anyone care about Windows 9

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Anyone care about Windows 9

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

It doesn't have to back up anything either. You can choose not to send anything to OneDrive and configure Windows not to save settings or anything else if you wish.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Well I'm glad you guys can be so positive about it, I still don't like this move toward the cloud, I think local apps will likely go away eventually but I hope I'm wrong.

If Windows 10 does allow local accounts then cool, I will wait to buy any convertibles/windows tablets until they come with Windows 10, because, other than that it does look pretty awesome.

Have they reversed the trend again? Will Windows 10 be awesome?

I haven't played with it enough in my vm to know but I also don't have a windows 8 to really compare to but from what I can tell, it looks like everything windows 8 should have been.

And those annoying slide in things aren't there on the Desktop, where they don't belong! So w00t for that. :P
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

You know what I find kind of amusing (not anyone here, but the idea)? Cloud computing is Star Trek. The magic technology that we see on TV really is the epitome of cloud based computing.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Sonic Glitch wrote:You know what I find kind of amusing (not anyone here, but the idea)? Cloud computing is Star Trek. The magic technology that we see on TV really is the epitome of cloud based computing.
Um, how so?

They just have very powerful computers.

Ok, every ship has an extremely powerful central server sure, and its never stated (afaik) how powerful their tablets are on their own so I suppose they could be cloud based, but I believe the Tricorders were stated to be pretty powerful? But it would make sense if those were cloud based too.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Hey, maybe they're so nonchalant in the future that they don't care about massive data loss or breach of privacy. :?

I'm with LaughingCheese. Some of my data is too sensitive to store on the cloud. Forcing me to do so would result in me finding another system to work with.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Windows doesn't force you to store anything on the cloud: it's just there as an option.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Windows doesn't force you to store anything on the cloud: it's just there as an option.

Until, someday, its NOT an option!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA :lol:

#tinfoilhat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

LaughingCheese wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Windows doesn't force you to store anything on the cloud: it's just there as an option.

#tinfoilhat
Oh be serious. One can't expect to be taken seriously once he starts to talk of wild conspiracy theories. Microsoft has tended to show respect for the end user's right to use Windows as they choose.

Besides, what will really happen is the secret development of chips built into PCs to telepathically control the user. :worried:
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote: Oh be serious. One can't expect to be taken seriously once he starts to talk of wild conspiracy theories. Microsoft has tended to show respect for the end user's right to use Windows as they choose.
Well that's good to know, I'm waiting for Windows 10 to get a new laptop.
Besides, what will really happen is the secret development of chips built into PCs to telepathically control the user. :worried:

I'll just leave this here. :lol:
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

LaughingCheese wrote:

#tinfoilhat
We havve one for that ;)

tinhat
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:

#tinfoilhat
We havve one for that ;)

tinhat

Doh!! :bangwall:
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

I just bought a new laptop, I couldn't do anything on my old one without restarting it every hour or so.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess