World of Tanks

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

World of Tanks

Post by Tsukiyumi »

My new roommate/ex boss got me playing this a few weeks back, and I have to say, I'm impressed. The level of detail is fantastic, from research and crew skills to the weapon variants and gear like camo nets. Even experimental tanks, or tanks which never left the drawing board (such as the Maus) are included for play. I only have a few gripes with the game so far, such as no Italian tanks (?), and a drastic lack of in-game instructions, but it seems like the team is working to implement new things all the time.

The game is genuinely fun, and free-to-play, though the initial download is massive (15GB+). I figured more than a few of us history enthusiasts on here might get a kick out of it. Currently, I'm using 3 British vehicles, one German tank and one Russian, trying to aim for specific things on the tech tree. It does take a bit to progress at higher levels, but the matches are quick (4-15 minutes), and you gain early level experience fast. Also, the maps are varied and myriad; lots of great locations.

Anyone else here play? If not, check it out.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: World of Tanks

Post by McAvoy »

I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake if my computer had access to the internet.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

How'd you post that, cyberkinesis? :lol:

Bandwidth issues?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

I don't mind WoT, but I believe that War Thunder Ground Forces are vastly superior. Currently they only have the Germans and Russians for tanks, (and the Italian planes are included in the German tech tree, so it would be the same for tanks)but later the American, British, and Japanese tanks will be added.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

World of Tanks also has their World of Warplanes game, and are launching World of Warships soon; I assume they will eventually integrate all three.
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

Oh yeah, WoWP, much much worse. Laggier, worse graphics, less players, only one oppertunity to fly in each map, etc.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tsukiyumi wrote:How'd you post that, cyberkinesis? :lol:

Bandwidth issues?
Cell phones are pretty useful.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I play World of Tanks a lot.

I tried War Thunder but despised it.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I've played WoT for a while. It does have its issues, but it is fun.

My problem with WT ground forces is that currently there is a huge issue with foliage. Turn it on low settings and it is easier to spot enemies. Its like a built in cheat.

WoT had solved this by having a hilariously messed up (logic-wise) but fair spotting system that is fully handled by the server.

I've been away from the game for a while due to changing interests and work getting busy at the end of the year, but I still go on a bit.
Also, completely inadequate training. If you want to know as much about tactics and gameplay as possible for a new person, check out Lert's guides on the forums (he has links to them in his signature). He explains a lot of things clearly.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.