LOTR Online

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

LOTR Online

Post by Teaos »

Bugger me. I used to play World of Warcraft about 8 years ago, I briefly tried a few other MMORPG's the most recent being Star Trek online.

Now WoW was a great game, but it was hampered by a few big problems that they had due to being the very first big MMORPG, so they had no one elses mistakes to learn from, a lot of the problems I and many other had with WoW is it got way to complicated, hundreds of boring repetitive quests, no real over arching story line, shity expansions that ruined the story. And to top it off it was $15 a month and about $50 per expansion.

The other side was Star Trek online which is free... but I got to level 50 in 2 weeks and the end game content is boring as shit, and the ground combat is still shit after 3 years of trying to fix it. It was okay, especially considering it was free, but it didnt hold me or offer anything new or great, EVE online apparently is a much better space based game.

I have heard of LOTR online for a few years, but I didnt know much about it, I kind of assumed it just going to be shitty and just whoring out the LOTR name.

But bugger me... the single best MMORPG I have ever played and it is 100% free, you can spend mosey to get extra shit but you dont have to, and 90% of what you buy you can get in game by just working for it. Its not like STO where the best 25% of shit is stuff you have to buy.

Its not good vs evil, you can only play the 4 good guys, Dwarves, Hobbits, Men and Elves, standard race attributes apply, some really interesting character types and they are very limited to who can play them, Hobbits cant be warriors and Dwarves cant be burglers ect.

The questing system is much better, there is one, long full game epic plot line which loosly follows behind the fellowship or dealing with issues of your race, and other quests that link into it, but it is very tight, no useless "go get 10 claws" in a million different types.

Also there is a real sense of achievement, even your mount which in every other game I played is all the same and the more you pay the better it is, here you name it and train it and the mount works with you in combat.

Even your weapons, it used to piss me off having a great weapon I built or won and then having to toss it for another with just slightly better stats, on LOTRO you can break down legendary items and instill their essence into your own, making your own personal weapon a legendy item by itself. although this is right at the top level of the game.

Even the crafting is done smoother with less grinding and more real achivements.

The first 10 levels and the standard getting to know the game, but once you are out of your races starting zone it is really good.

Animals for some reason dont carry money on them... strange that.

LOTRO has won 4 out of the last 5 years best MMORPG awards form the major sites and I can see why.

When it came out it was 200 for a life time subscription or 15 a month, now it is totally free. I cant see how WoW is still around appart from the fact that like me, people dont know about it.

www.lotro.com
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: LOTR Online

Post by Tyyr »

Can you play a female dwarf?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Nope only race that it only has one option :P

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And there goes my interest.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Becasue your character cant have tits, man/woman doesn't count for anything on any of the races.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yup.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

How very arbitrary.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Arbitrary isn't the word you're looking for. Well I suppose it could be but utilizing the more broad definition would be essentially meaningless in this discussion since you could argue that any judgement based off personal taste is inherently arbitrary. No, I'd suspect you meant it more in the way of, "No actual reason," for my dismissal of the game.

I actually have a good reason. I don't care for MMO's. I just really don't. I don't much care for stock fantasy games either, I played WoW for years and got burned out on fantasy games. So a fantasy MMO? Yeah, I can't really make myself give much of a shit. However there is a character concept that I always wanted to try, a picture I saw years ago of a female dwarf wizard/mage/magic user of some nature. She looked very dwarven and yet she was ready to light someone up RotJ Emperor style with the lightning crackling around her hands. Its a character idea that always intrigued me. Stereo-typically male race, very grounded and non-magic using and yet there was a female dwarven mage. I really liked that idea. Enough that even with LotRO's likely low magic setting playing a female dwarf in a setting that I honestly can't recall seeing a female dwarf in could have been fun.

But you can't play a female dwarf, leaving me with playing a fantasy MMO, which I hate.

There's a reason, even if you don't particularly like it.