EVE Online sees biggest space battle in history!

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

EVE Online sees biggest space battle in history!

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
One of the largest video game space battles ever seen has taken place in the Eve Online game.

For five hours on 28 July about 4,000 players took part in the epic battle between two of the game's biggest alliances.

The two sides were fighting for control of resources within several of the game's solar systems.

Time was slowed down in the virtual universe to help servers cope with the huge numbers of players and ships.

The battle pitted spaceships belonging to CFC against those from the Test Alliance in a region of space known as 6VDT. It ended in victory for CFC.

Eve Online is a detailed space simulation that sees players fly spaceships through thousands of virtual star systems, seeking resources they can use to prosper.

The resources can be found on planets and in asteroid fields or acquired through piracy or other underhand means.

Ships vary in size from small trading vessels to giant capital ships.

Erlendur Thorsteinsson, one of Eve Online's developers, confirmed in a tweet that the battle was the biggest ever seen in the game.

At its peak the battle involved 4,070 pilots and their ships.

Game time was slowed to 10% of normal to lighten the load on servers working out who was shooting at whom.

The pivotal moment in the battle took place two hours in, when CFC sent in a large fleet of capital ships - the most powerful in the game.

Their arrival prompted many members of the Test Alliance to try to flee.

By the end of the conflict thousands of ships are believed to have been destroyed.

Their destruction has a real-world cost as the game's internal currency can be bought with real money.

So far no-one has worked out the total value of the ships destroyed, but a far smaller battle earlier in 2013 laid waste to far fewer spacecraft that in total were estimated to be worth more than $15,000 (£10,000).

The giant battle was the culmination of a long campaign by CFC to force the Test Alliance out of 6VDT.

Some have speculated that it may be the only the first of a series of conflicts that seek to extinguish TEST.

"These kinds of conflicts are business as usual in Eve but this one was bigger than normal," said James Binns from the PCGamesN website.

Mr Binns said several big events had made the last few weeks in Eve absorbing to watch. During that time a giant ship was hijacked and then destroyed in a carefully co-ordinated ambush and a huge in-game corporation was disbanded and its resources stolen by a spy from a rival faction.

"It's a fascinating online world and its constant drama is nothing like any other game," he said.
:shock: :happydevil:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: EVE Online sees biggest space battle in history!

Post by Tyyr »

EVE continues to be the most fascinating game I have no interest in playing.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I've been interested in LOTR online, I've heard it si quite a bit different to the standard MMORPG, with no actual HP and a very different "Magic" system, and actual property in the game, being free to play is also nice.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:EVE continues to be the most fascinating game I have no interest in playing.
The latest game I have bought played was Warcraft 3 or Empire Earth 2. Cant remember off hand which one.

For some reaosn, video games in general especially the latest ones bore me. Not to say they are shitty games, they just do not interest me anymore. I have played the latest games at my brother's place or a friend's but they hold no interest for me beyond the first hour.

I mean this sounds interesting, but I bet $50 I would play it for an hour and then never play it again. Ten years later, I might pawn it for a soda just to get rid of it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Holy 4k!!!

That would have killed the servers last year. We had trouble when over 100 entered most systems, and 1k was difficult with just that many in station.

Now I want to watch a vid of it, but it probably would take forever.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.