Ubuntu Edge

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Ubuntu Edge

Post by LaughingCheese »

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

HOLY FREAKING..............

This thing may actually smash some crowdfunding records.

It was just two days ago that it was at $600k....now their almost to $4 MILLION!!!!!
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Ubuntu Edge

Post by Tyyr »

I have misgivings about hardware funded in this manner. Sometimes it works out great, Oculus Rift, sometimes it bombs like the Ouya and Pebble. The idea behind it is compelling. For what most of us use our computers for on a regular basis a mobile phone could likely handle it. As odd as this might be I think a lot of what could make or break this is a dock. Something I can just pop my phone into and automatically connect to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. With extra USB ports, audio out, that sort of thing. If you have to plop the phone down and plug in your monitor and speakers each time then sync up your bluetooth keyboard and mouse it could limit it's use. A good dock would make that simple.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I have misgivings about a small handheld device that is more fragile than the components in a laptop or even a tablet. But that is just me.

On the other hand, when docked to the computer couldn't the computer have hardware that could boost or at least take the stress off of the phone?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:I have misgivings about a small handheld device that is more fragile than the components in a laptop or even a tablet. But that is just me.

On the other hand, when docked to the computer couldn't the computer have hardware that could boost or at least take the stress off of the phone?
What computer? It doesn't dock to a computer. The phone is the computer, everything else is just monitor, keyboard and other peripherals.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote:
McAvoy wrote:I have misgivings about a small handheld device that is more fragile than the components in a laptop or even a tablet. But that is just me.

What computer? It doesn't dock to a computer. The phone is the computer, everything else is just monitor, keyboard and other peripherals.
Ahhh. I misread it as being plugged into a computer with hardware but with the phone acting as a CPU and operating system. Different than what is already out there.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:

Ahhh. I misread it as being plugged into a computer with hardware but with the phone acting as a CPU and operating system. Different than what is already out there.
If the phone has the CPU and the OS then there would be nothing but peripherals left in the 'Computer' it was plugged into. i.e. it wouldn't be a computer any more.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Actually, I don't see how this is any different from plugging your iPhone into the TV and a bluetooth keyboard. So there's noting really new here at all.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote:Actually, I don't see how this is any different from plugging your iPhone into the TV and a bluetooth keyboard. So there's noting really new here at all.
See this is where I got confused. You can do that and there have been things like this out there already. Docking ports to convert your phone into a laptop sort of thing.

I thought it was different.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The main difference is the device is dual boot. Well, triple boot sort of. It has Android, a specially designed Ubuntu phone interface, and full fledged Ubuntu on it for desktop mode. At least that's how I think they're describing it. Rather than still running your phone OS on a big screen it runs a true OS on the big screen.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tyyr wrote:The main difference is the device is dual boot. Well, triple boot sort of. It has Android, a specially designed Ubuntu phone interface, and full fledged Ubuntu on it for desktop mode. At least that's how I think they're describing it. Rather than still running your phone OS on a big screen it runs a true OS on the big screen.
Won't a phone CPU be a little underpowered for that?
email, ergo spam
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I honestly can't tell you. I've got zero Linux experience. I suspect if you try to do a lot of serious multitasking on it it's gonna cry for momma, but basic productivity work and web browsing it should be more than able to handle.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It'a a cost performance trade off. If they make it powerful then it's going to cost a pretty penny, it's also going to eat battery. It will be interesting to see what they exactly expect to use. The average donation seems to be about $461 currently. At that rate they would need another 54,000 people to give that amount to get to their goal. Of cause if they donations are lower they will need a lot more people. Will be interesting to see if they make it. More so to see if they get anywhere even if they do.
email, ergo spam
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Not looking like this is gonna make it. They're only about a quarter of the way to their funding goal of $32 million.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Went fast in the first few days with the die hard fans, but it is to technical to get mainstream support.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's how most of these things go. You get a huge initial surge of donations and it peters out. They're 33% of the way through the time window and only have 25% of the money. Most people don't give a crap about linux or even a linux phone. iPhone or Android with a few Windows phone users and Blackberry wingnuts. Laying out $800 for a phone you MIGHT get in a year? Not gonna happen for most people.

And $32 million seems like a huge crowd funding goal.