Linux

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Linux

Post by Teaos »

So my girlfriends netbook is slowing down adn taking forever to do even basic stuff, wiping it and starting afresh helped alittle but its still slow as sin.

Someone recommended we wipe it and install Linux on it since she only uses it for basic web surfing and some writting.

So is Linux practical for someone who knows nothing about computers? Can it be used for just basic functioning?

All I know of it made me think its only for computer geeks who know how to smooth out all it problems.

Also does it have compatability issues still? I know a lot of stuff didnt use to work on it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Linux

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

So is Linux practical for someone who knows nothing about computers? Can it be used for just basic functioning?
Depending on the distribution (Ubuntu? Debain? Fedora? etc..) it's much more user friendly than it used to be. Most of the more common distros come pre-installed with a set of programs for media, internet (often Firefox) and document reading and writing. Other software can usually be installed through a 'package manager.' As long as you stay in those limits you're OK; the software afvailable for Linux distros isn't always as advanced or polished as Windows/Mac versions. Obviously, Windows and Mac software won't run.
Also does it have compatability issues still? I know a lot of stuff didnt use to work on it.
There are some, mostly with peripherals. Internal devices in the laptop should work (sound, network, etc). Many brands of printer have no support (HP works because HP is the only printer maker to publish official linux drivers that I know of). When I played around with linux using a wireless keyboard and mouse combiantion I couldn't get special function keys (media controls, volume, etc) on the keyboard to work. Phones might not sync and some apple devices can be made to work (sort of) though it can be a PITA (there's no official apple support so what there is takes the form of a reverse-engineered hack).
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Cheers

Question from her. Would open office work on it?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Teaos wrote:Cheers

Question from her. Would open office work on it?
There are versions of Open Office or Libre Office for Linux, yes. Many distros come pre-packaged with one of them, otherwise it should be available in the package manager. It's good enough for simple docs though it doesn't always get the formatting right in documents created in Microsoft Office apps.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

If all you do is browse and write documents and stuff then Chromium might be worth a look. Makes even the most agricultural spec laptops work like a dream.