Google Glass

kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Google Glass

Post by kostmayer »

Well, I work anything between a 10 and 14 hour day and have a couple of time intensive hobbies, so being able to sneak a quick read in, or browse through my news feeds when I have a spare few mins is a big boon.

And Google Maps is very very good at guiding you round public transportation.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

While the privacy issue gets the most attention, I wonder whether Glass is that much safer than looking down at a cellphone while walking or driving. It's not necessarily the direction of gaze that matters but the direction of the mind's focus: even with his eyes forward a person can be distracted. Put simply, people aren't good at multitasking, and exacerbate the problem because they don't realize how bad they are at it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opini ... ee.html?hp
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Hell, give them as much or as little scientific credibility as you will but the Mythbusters tested the idea that being distracted while driving is as dangerous as driving drunk, even if your eyes and hands are free. Their results were... alarming.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I agree, this has a serious potential of making it easy to be dangerously distracted while driving. Just putting it in my own terms I can see myself browsing Reddit or here or anything as I'm driving. At least with a phone you have no choice but to put it down and get back to driving once you stop but with this... well, I can finish that article while I start rolling, no big deal.

As for Mythbusters, they're not going to hold up to the rigors of the scientific investigation but they do give it a good try and I feel they're a pretty good gauge if something bears further investigation or is just bull.

That and they blow stuff up and Keri Byron is fucking smoking hot.