Re: Kerbal Space Program

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, it's a known glitch with the mod.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yep, I just sometimes forget to turn it off...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Well I reinstalled and now its unplayably laggy. :(

Guess I'll just have to wait for the next update.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Sorry, you might check the forums for a fix.

My idea of a jet engine boostered crew launcher is not fairing well. My standard Perseus CM/SM atop a single orange tank with a mainsail will get to orbit but I have to burn half the SM's fuel to do it. Even with eight turbojets being fed by 16 ram air and 16 radial air intakes. Acceleration at sea level is abysmal and by 18,000m where I start to get flameouts I'm only at like 150m/s vertical speed. Gonna try an early grav turn but with how low my TWR is I don't know how far off vertical I can go before I start falling back to Kerbin.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I had trouble with that myself.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Jet engine boosters? I love the idea, I view them as more or less a rocket elevator letting you launch your rockets above the thickest part of the atmosphere. The problem is that even with eight their payload is limited. I thought it would have application as a crew transfer vehicle but I'm not so sure now. I'm not changing the design of my crew transfer vehicle, I'm playing big boy pretend NASA and the Perseus capsule does everything I want it to in LKO and on trips to the Mun and Minmus. So that capsule, unchanged is the payload to get to orbit.

I may have to dump the JEB concept and go to a more SpaceX approach with a recoverable first stage and boosters. I wonder if I could make a booster that would be able to fly back to KSC? Actually that might be doable. Have an orange tank. On the outside (away from the core rocket) put two JEB's and use them and the boosters on lift off, by the time the orange tank is empty the JEBs will still have plenty of fuel. Use action groups to shut the engines down for detachment then start them back up. Have landing gear on the bottom of the orange tank and some big wings on top. It doesn't have to fly perfectly, it just has to land survivably.

Alternately I can just use landing legs and a fuck ton of parachutes.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Also reinstalled, I find it's running much smoother now, Though I can't tell if that's because of any improvements, one or more of the mods being fundamentally broken with the update or wether lag was down to one of the mods.

I've rather enjoyed being thrown back into vanilla, I've been putting into practise everything I've learned from MechJeb. I managed to get into a stable (I think) orbit on my own finally. However my lack of knowledge of Orbital Mechanics means I screwed up on the de-orbit burn and ran out of fuel before I could correct it.

Gallery
Bite my shiny metal ass
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's not unlike how many newbie's first solo flight ends. Just remember, prograde (open target on the nav ball) gives you more altitude. Burning retrograde (X'd target on the navball) reduces it. Normal (upwards purple mark on the manuver node) and anti-normal increase or decrease your inclination. Burning directly towards or away from the planet is largely pointless. To increase or decrease orbital height burning pro or retrograde is far more efficient. The only time to burn in the direction of the cyan markers on the nav point is in extreme situations.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tyyr wrote:Sorry, you might check the forums for a fix.

Spoke too soon; lanched it the second time and the lag is gone. :roll:

Still have the mouse bug tho. The fix involves installing some linux things that I'm not too keen to try yet. ><

Tyyr wrote:That's not unlike how many newbie's first solo flight ends. Just remember, prograde (open target on the nav ball) gives you more altitude. Burning retrograde (X'd target on the navball) reduces it. Normal (upwards purple mark on the manuver node) and anti-normal increase or decrease your inclination. Burning directly towards or away from the planet is largely pointless. To increase or decrease orbital height burning pro or retrograde is far more efficient. The only time to burn in the direction of the cyan markers on the nav point is in extreme situations.
Good tips, thanks. I still have only made orbit of anything in the tutorials. :P

EDIT: Interesting idea for rescuing Kerbals:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/r ... ace_Patrol

Maybe not that ship specifically but just the idea. Would be neat if they simulate malfunctions in the career mode.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Have you watched Scott Manley tutorials? Seriously, watch the guy's stuff, or Verner Von Kerman's. You know how I know how to fly? Those two guys. Well that and A LOT of study of orbital mechanics when I was bored in highschool.

I am of mixed emotions about malfunctions in career mode. On one hand they can create great drama, on the other the usual outcome of malfunctions in space flight are thousands of tiny pieces of rocket slowly falling back to the ground and lord knows we do that enough all on our own. Career mode will be interesting to see. Right now rocket design includes lots of iteration to get to where you have a good rocket to fly with. With career mode you might not be able to afford all those failures. Might lead to a lot of design in the sandbox before importing the design to career mode.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tyyr wrote:Have you watched Scott Manley tutorials? Seriously, watch the guy's stuff, or Verner Von Kerman's. You know how I know how to fly? Those two guys. Well that and A LOT of study of orbital mechanics when I was bored in highschool.
I think I'm subscribed to both of those guys, definitely Scott.
I am of mixed emotions about malfunctions in career mode. On one hand they can create great drama, on the other the usual outcome of malfunctions in space flight are thousands of tiny pieces of rocket slowly falling back to the ground and lord knows we do that enough all on our own. Career mode will be interesting to see. Right now rocket design includes lots of iteration to get to where you have a good rocket to fly with. With career mode you might not be able to afford all those failures. Might lead to a lot of design in the sandbox before importing the design to career mode.

Well, it could be an option. I mean like in the options menu you could toggle malfunctions.

EDIT: And 0.20.1 is out! Hoping this fixed the mouse bug, fingers crossed.....

Bother. :(
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, looks like the mouse bug is a Unity engine problem so there's nothing Squad can do about it except pressure the Unity guys to get it fixed.

In other news I've given up on the JEB concept. I can get the 3 man version of my capsule into space with the JEB's and still have a good bit of delta V left over but the 7 man struggles. It gets into a useful orbit but only with about 1/3 of the 1/4 length 2.5m tank remaining. In other words not much. While that's more than enough for rendezvous, docking, and deorbiting I'd have preferred to be able to get more fuel up there so that I could use crew transfers to also help keep the fuel tanks topped off and not have to fly completely new ones up all the time.

However the biggest problem is simple, Mech Jeb can't fly it. Flying the JEB rocket is too complicated for Mech Jeb and is therefore purely manual until you dump the JEBs and go pure rocket power. Since I'm trying to run a space program and not just random missions I have a lot of crew/supply flights up to stations, transferring to the moons, etc. A usual night of play includes at least one crew rocket going some where with a crew switch or supplies. It makes it easier on me if I can just hand that launch off to Mech Jeb and go do something else. So, the JEB crew ferry is dead.

It's replacement was tested last night and functioned magnificently. It can loft an entire 7 man Perseus CM/SM to orbit with 7/8 of it's tank remaining. I could probably tweak that a bit to get the whole thing up if I'd get rid of some early stage rocket engines but damn if it's not fun to have 13 engines firing at the same time.

The trick is to use the aerodynamic tail cones, the 1.25m ones. You can attach them to the bottom of a tank, just line it up with the bottom so it's pointing out radially, then rotate it up so it's parallel to the tank. Then use shift when you rotate to cant it inwards 5 degrees. Most of it will sink into the rocket body and you'll have a 1.25 spot on the bottom of the tank you can attach an LTV engine to as well as your main engine. Best to do it in symmetry mode though and you'll have to play around until the game is happy with the clipping. Doing this I had a rocket that had 25 engines in the first stage once, 7 mainsails and 18 LVT-30's.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tyyr wrote:Yeah, looks like the mouse bug is a Unity engine problem so there's nothing Squad can do about it except pressure the Unity guys to get it fixed.
Wow, that sucks!

Well I downgraded to 0.19.1 and FINALLY managed to get a satellite into orbit!

Except....I kept encountering a bug where the controls would lock up (not my computer, just the flight controls).

So I ended up launching the satellite at night, and now the thing is dead and adrift and I can't control it one bit.

I found this appears to be an issue with coming out of time warp too fast. I'm going to try time warping again then coming out of it slowly. I have a feeling tho that this one is just stuck and I'll have to redo it. :(

So with Steam being on linux now, and Unity having linux support at least, I wonder if Unity will eventually come to linux? That would be awesome.

They could be the flagship Indie engine for Steam on Linux.

I think that would certainly turn some heads...

EDIT: Patch 0.20.2 is out.....and the mouse bug is fixed!!! w00t!

Way to go Squad and Unity! I guess I should post that on the boards... :P
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

http://youtu.be/6gxdhAp6XLc

:laughroll:

Also 0.20.2 seems to have solved the linux issues. Thank goodness there were some savy linux players.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »