Kerbal Space Program

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Okay, I give. Why are my damn solar panels not deploying?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The big possibility, whatever they're attached to is already dead, out of charge. Once you run out of electrical charge you're boned unless you've got kerbals on board. They can go EVA and open them manually. Otherwise they should open unless they were damaged. The most common damage is opening them in atmosphere, anything over I think 20m/s will wreck an open solar panel.
stitch626 wrote:That is awesome... may I borrow some of your designs and tweak them for my own taste?
Sure.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

It's a probe with 100/200 charge; no damage that I'm aware of. Are they supposed to deploy at a certain altitude or something?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Are you telling them to deploy? You have to initiate deployment yourself. Right click on them and activate them. You can also put them in an action group so one key can deploy some or all of them.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Well, still have NOT gotten into orbit, although I did bother to go thru the tutorials, so at least I know how to do it now. :lol:

Things I really hope they fix soonish:

1. The part snapping system or whatever its called seems buggy, or I just don't understand it, but it seems frustatingly difficult to attach parts sometimes.

2. This is likely a known bug, and I don't know the steps to reproduce it, but it seems that sometims when I switch to map mode while in flight the keyboard becomes unresponsive and I have to end the flight.

EDIT: Looks like .20 is almost here!

Its like waiting for Blender releases, except more awesome since I actually play KSP. :lol:

http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/

EDIT: Looks like its this:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- ... ssues/2417

Maybe I should go back to 12.04 LTS.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:Are you telling them to deploy? You have to initiate deployment yourself. Right click on them and activate them. You can also put them in an action group so one key can deploy some or all of them.
I tried right-clicking; there didn't seem to be an option to deploy. They're the OX-4 (or 4-B) panels, for reference.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

And, the problem appears to have corrected itself. Game is a bit glitchy at times.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tsukiyumi wrote:And, the problem appears to have corrected itself. Game is a bit glitchy at times.

Indeed, I was playing one of the scenarios and noticed that the command pod simply dissappears occasionally.

Don't forget this is an alpha.. :lol:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Look up Scott Manley's stuff on Youtube, the guy is golden for learning how to play the game and some of the stuff he does with it is very impressive.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I was not terribly focused last night.

Flight of the Swallow, if I'm completely honest with myself this landing wasn't half bad, aside from my failure to correctly map the brakes to the right action group.

Still, I don't think I'll be getting the deposit back.

Night landing on Minmus, on one hand kind of easier as you have to run entirely on insturments. Kind of nerve wracking as you have to run entirely on insturments. I won't be doing that again.

Freyja base is fully assembled though, 12 kerbals on Minmus doing science complete with a habitat module, science module, and two landers capable of taking the entire expedition back to Kerbin orbit in case of an emergency, or at least Minmus orbit.

Heimdallr station, home to 14 kerbals. I still need to add on two more Bacchus fuel tugs for it to be really considered complete. I intend to put one of these stations in orbit of the Mun and Minmus and eventually Duna and Eve. The station, and the capsules docked with it, have been intentionally stripped down in part count to minimize the lag of the station so it's not as photogenic as I'd like.

Finally, since I'm in the initial stages of planning on missions to Duna I built a nuclear tug.

In retrospect using an Atlas for the second stage motor was a bad idea for lifting a 62+ ton ship to orbit. The TWR went down to like 0.63 and had a PE of 65km by the time it struggled up to an AP of 90. I'll change out the Atlas for a Mainsail when it's time to launch the Sif and Loki. Still, orbit is orbit no matter how ugly the trip up the hill was.

62.56 Tons, 6,723 m/s delta V, total thrust of 1,200 kN. Should be more than enough for Duna and Eve and puttering around near Kerbin. The IKS Mjolnir NX-01 is ready for business.

Business end of a nuclear tug. You don't want to get any closer than this. I mean it.

A couple beauty shots of the Mjolnir.

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Wow, that's gorgeous!

Is that interplanetary capable with all those nuclear engines?

EDIT: Also do you have any mods other than Mechjeb (like part mods) or is this mostly stock?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, it's interplanetary. Without anything else loaded it can go all the way too Eeloo and back and still have enough gas left to swing by Eve and Minmus. I'm estimating it can comfortably push about 80 tons to Duna. My plans are to get two more of them in orbit, the IKS Sif NCC-001 and IKS Loki NCC-002, and use all three for one big Duna push of a station, a hab module, and a seven kerbal lander. The plan is a combined short/long program where we make the initial landing and everyone does their thing then a solo Kerbal (Jeb) makes the return trip while the other six settle in for at least a two year stay on Duna. Meanwhile there will be six kerbals in orbit in the station. I may, MAY, go for a fourth tug IKS Surtur NCC-003 and use it to push a second lander that could be used as an emergency depature lander to get them up to the station. Alternately I may just leave everyone on Duna for at least two years provided the hab module lands fine.

I'm thinking use my Minmus Hab design but I'll trade out the small engines on each engine pod for a larger stack one, put one of the big parachutes on top of each engine pod and a few around the perimeter and on the central stack. Should get it down just fine.

Before that though I'm going to try sending a rocket there with a passel of satelites and probes. Four of my communications satellites, a mapping sattelite, and two landers to test landing methods. The landers would weigh more but the satellites are all barely a ton each. Of course Ike is a bastard and sits in nearly synchronous orbit so anything in a Duna-synch orbit eventually gets eaten by Ike. Have to set my comm sats at 1/2 duration orbits.

Mods, wow.

Mech Jeb - Get it. Seriously, just get the damn mod. Even if you never use any of the flight aids the information it gives is priceless. Also, the dev got hired by squad so I expect some or all of Mech Jeb will wind up in the stock game, and I will laugh.

Kerbal Stock Parts Expansion (KSPX) - Uses the exact same visual styling and performance ratios of existing parts to provide some parts that fill in the holes in the existing parts continuum. Also the person who made it was hired by squad so expect the KSPX to wind up being integrated into stock Kerbal in the next few releases.

Struts XL - Gives you larger versions of the existing structural trusses. Useful for larger stations.

B9 Aerospace - The Swallow is 80% B9. Lots of great spaceplane parts. Not a ton of use in other areas but at least your spaceplanes will look great while they auger in.

Home - Lots of bits for building bases and space stations.

BACE - Pretty much like Home but not as pretty.

Nova Punch - Similar to KSPX.

Quantum Struts - Great for ships going to do lots of docking. They are struts that will connect and disconnect at will.

Quantum Fuel Transfer - Uses two targets you can align and transfer fuel between undocked spacecraft. Don't think of it as a transporter, just imagine its a hose. You have to move a Kerbal from one ship to the other and the transfer point on both so it may as well be a hose.

Kerbal Attachment System - A cable winch for KSP. Use it to grab things, haul things, transfer fuel, etc.

Quantum Strut and Fuel Parts - The original QS and QF mods use default models which can be hard to see. This replaces them with the bright orange things you see on my ship. Not asthetically great but I prefer it to misused stock models.

Inflatable Hab Module

Lazor Docking Camera - Nothing changes parts wise but now you can chose your docking port and enable a docking camera that makes docking a lot easier.

Lazor Camera - A mod that lets you put camera on your craft and you can control where the camera looks and zooms.

ISA Map Sat - Gives you parts to let you map the height elevations of worlds and moons.

Damned Robotics - Hinges and struts and all kinds of things to let stuff move.

Chatterer - Now you can have Kerbal gibberish from mission control!

Telemachus - Collect flight data from your ships.

Protractor - Easy planetary alignment tool to know when you need to launch.

Some Data Plugin - Tracks lots of data points including your previously minimally useful science sensors.

Crew Roster - Allows you to choose which Kerbals are going on a flight and move Kerbals about within a larger structure.

Subassembly Loader - Lets you save certain parts. It's how I can keep using the same booster over and over.

I think that's it. I love mods. It's why I don't play console games much if at all.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Holy cheese.....wow...thanks, I'll definitely look into them, I'd just like to at least land someone or something on the Mun before I get modding.

Also, is it just me or is the attachment system kind of buggy? I mean I could be doing it wrong but it seems like its more difficult than it needs to be. Or maybe what I'm trying to attach is incorrect.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

LaughingCheese wrote:Holy cheese.....wow...thanks, I'll definitely look into them, I'd just like to at least land someone or something on the Mun before I get modding.

Also, is it just me or is the attachment system kind of buggy? I mean I could be doing it wrong but it seems like its more difficult than it needs to be. Or maybe what I'm trying to attach is incorrect.
It is buggy since the latest update. Its very hard to attach tanks to the side decouplers, whereas before it was easy.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

stitch626 wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:Holy cheese.....wow...thanks, I'll definitely look into them, I'd just like to at least land someone or something on the Mun before I get modding.

It is buggy since the latest update. Its very hard to attach tanks to the side decouplers, whereas before it was easy.

Ah, so its 0.19's fault. Hopefully 0.2 will fix this. ><