Simcity Burns

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Simcity Burns

Post by Teaos »

The gaming industry has/had a lot of loyality in it, I would play any FInal Fantasy game and any Square game because of it.

And although gaming is more mainstream now than it used to be. They still rely on their loyal customers to keep them ticking, and for feed back on what makes a truely great game, they've lost it.

Anyone who knows anything about gaming has seen EA burning these last weeks and are sick of it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That loyalty is the problem.

It doesn't matter what's demanded of you, a lot of people will take whatever just to get their hands on the next chapter of a game. Always on DRM? Ok, fine, just so long as I can play it. That's gotta stop. We've gotta look at what the gaming industry is becoming and decide if we're going to allow it.

Hell, show some real loyalty by letting a franchise bomb occasionally. Look at what EA did to SimCity. Would real brand loyalty be going out and buying it just to "support it"? If you do what is going to change? They'll just do it again but worse. No, real loyalty to the SimCity brand is looking at this clusterfuck and saying, "No, not going to accept it." Same thing with Mass Effect, it's looking at 3 and going, "No, fuck this shit and fuck you for trying it," and letting those games bomb. Yeah, if SC5 goes down in flames it might be years before we get another one. I'm ok with that, because we'll have put our foot down about what we will accept and what we won't accept and maybe the next one will be done properly.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well its what we did with Trek, they feed us ENT and we said no, then it was years until we got a reboot in the movie and we still dont have a new series.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Tyyr wrote:
They've stopped treating customers like customers and started to see them as money pinatas to be smacked around as much as possible.
Which is what I got from reading Lucy Bradshaw's "Straight Answers from Lucy" post. She explicitly states that Maxis' vision of what SC should be may not be what customers want but, fuck you guys.
Lucy Bradshaw wrote:So, could we have built a subset offline mode? Yes. But we rejected that idea because it didn’t fit with our vision.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, but would you rather they have kept putting out Enterprise? Or another series that does pretty much what Enterprise did?

I'd rather have nothing than have it drug through the mud, made a mockery of, and encourage them to keep doing it. Yeah, After Enterprise and Nemesis Trek shut down for a while. Good. It needed to. The crap needed to be flushed and it was. Is the Reboot everything we wished it was? Eh... maybe not, but Trek 2009 was infinitely better than Nemesis and looks to be resurrecting the movie franchise in a big way. If the movie franchise turns out to be a winner they'll start looking at TV again. When they do, maybe it won't blow. However given how things were going (the TNG movie run was one long disappointment, Voyager was meh, and Enterprise seemed to be actively trying to ruin the franchise) a hiatus and a redirection was good.

Well, same for game franchises.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm really getting sick of this auteur bullshit in game making. It's Sim-Fucking-CIty, if you want to make something different and new then go start your own franchise and do it. Don't hijack and existing series to do it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah thats what I dont get, make a simcity like game but name it something else, they are actively whoring out names and getting angry at us for calling us out on it.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Or make your new component a portion of the game, optional. Don't fuck the series up and then claim that it doesn't meet your vision. Then your vision was not to make a SimCity game.

The killer thing is that I think multiplayer had some merit. I really think with some work it could have been an awesome new component to SimCity. The problem is that it's a cover for DRM, not a real new interesting feature.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah when it first came out I thought they were going to do something like make "states". A hundred cities form up into states and then maybe countries.

You could have a city that is purely industrial and imports its workers form towns half an hour away by a high speed rail which you build with 3 other cities.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Properly implemented it could be awesome. I'd certainly give it a whirl. As is though it's just a hopped up Facebook game.