data plan

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: data plan

Post by Teaos »

The only thing I can think of is a total wipe and reboot, which I think they can do in store and not send it away.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, the store should be able to completely wipe it and start over fresh which should fix the issue.

Even with unlimited data I'd want to get this fixed since it's burning battery to run the radios for that and taking up bandwidth when you want it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

And if it is spyware you want that the hell out of your phone.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'd bet money that's what it is. There are a couple bits of spyware that I know get stuffed into a lot of apps, stuff that's supposedly just to push ads but what it does is datamine your phone and report it all back to the mothership. Always look at the permissions an app wants and better yet, look it up online.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well I am going to have to do that on Thursday or Friday.

592 MB. It is right behind my Facebook app. That is at 652.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

You might want to do a hard reset. Most phones I know that are android its both the volume buttons pressed then the power button. It sounds like you've got malware or spyware somewhere; my Note II takes up roughly about 8mb per month of my data tariff; there is no WAY it should take up anywhere NEAR that much.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

If the Galaxy S3 hadn't been on sale for $50 when I went to upgrade I'd have gotten a Note II. I was concerned about trying to use it as a conventional phone but I can live with talking into a skateboard for that screen real estate and the stylus. Pretty sure my next phone will be a Note 3 or 4, whatever they're up to when I go for it.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Reliant121 wrote:You might want to do a hard reset. Most phones I know that are android its both the volume buttons pressed then the power button. It sounds like you've got malware or spyware somewhere; my Note II takes up roughly about 8mb per month of my data tariff; there is no WAY it should take up anywhere NEAR that much.

Done that so many times. The phone freezes at least once a day. I did do reset to factory specs but that didn't do anything.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

There are ways to stick apps in so that even a reset won't take them out. Odds are that you've got a piece of malware from one of your apps that's pulled that trick. Getting Verizon to completely wipe the phone and reinstall the OS is about the only way you're likely to be able to dig it out without clear knowledge of what it is.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Too bad there isn't a Malwarebytes for the phone...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.