What do you guys think of this <$1000 build?

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What do you guys think of this <$1000 build?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

LaughingCheese wrote:
Yeah, I can't find any AMD mobos that aren't around $150, so all in all, especially if the rest of the configuration remains the same, I'm not really saving all that much it seems.
I think I meant to say here that I couldn't find any AMD motherboards <$150 or so with PCIE 3.0 x16. :bangwall:

So if I go AMD it would mean sticking with the current generation of PCIE.

Well, one line of them. As I noted there are other, new lines of AMD chips with different features and sockets.

I see.
Indeed, as far as I can tell there are no AMD MOBO currently on the market that feature PCIe 3.0 at all. ASUS has announced one - but it probably will be quite expensive when it officially goes on sale.

http://www.techpowerup.com/180316/ASUS- ... -R2.0.html

This is because no AMD chipset natively supports PCIe 3.0 (Intel 7 series chipsets do). The above noted board seems to use some special engineering to conjure PCIe 3.0 slots with the help of an additional chip. The next generation of AMD motherboards will probably add the feature, at which point it will start to progress down the chain to more mainstream price points. In any event, AMD is behind the curve on this one.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Even if AMD does start to support it it's going to take 6 months to a year to filter down to inexpensive boards. Considering that I'd probably opt for Intel this go around unless you really need to save the money using AMD. Just be prepared when the time comes to get a new video card to look for PCIe 2.0.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Well, the nice thing about PCIe3.0 is that it is backwards compatible with 2.0 so if you do get a board with PCIe2.0 you will still be able to use a PCIe3.0 card with it, you just won't get the benefit of the extra speed.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's like being cool with buying a Mustang because later on you can put a Ferrari body on it. Still the same old engine but wooohooo, new body. If you can spend even a few more bucks on a board and get PCIe 3.0 you should do it.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

lol

Thanks for the info guys, sorry I haven't been around.

Was absorbed in RK's BRILLIANT Star Trek/Star Wars crossover, I mean, WOW! :shock:

Truth be told, this is more of an exercise than anything; I probably won't be getting a new computer for a while yet, actually.

Which just means the next generation will be cheap by the time I do get around to building! :P

Thanks for the help tho!

LC
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Ok, here's a possible AMD build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition

$99.99 (As soon as Amazon has them back in stock.)

Mobo: Gigabyte AMD 760G + SB710 Micro ATX

$56.99

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB

$47.99

GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7850
$194.99

SSD: Crucial M4 256 GB

$188.67

PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus

$64.23

Case: Rosewill

$39.99 (Again, when Amazon gets it back in stock.)

And of course, as always windows: $91.17

Total: $784.02 (Not counting aftermarket coolers and fans of course, I'll take suggestions on those.)

I'll post an Intel build tomorrow, but basically it will just be an Intel mobo with the i5 3470 unless there are good reasons to change other components.