What do you guys think of this <$1000 build?

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

What do you guys think of this <$1000 build?

Post by LaughingCheese »

Will this be decent for gaming?

I'll be using a 23" monitor at 1080p.

CPU: i5-3570: $213.79

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-3570-Qua ... s=i5+3570k

Mobo: Micro ATX Gigabyte: $74.99

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Intel-Mi ... ords=Intel

GPU: EVGA GTX 650 Ti 2GB: $179.99

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual ... 650+ti+1gb

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB: $159.99

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-256GB-2-5 ... 618&sr=1-1

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3: $46.98

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-PC3-10666 ... 32&sr=1-16

Case: Cooler Master Mini ITX: $46.24

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008R5 ... d_i=507846

And of course, Windows 7! $91.17

Total: $871.17+tax = $938.65

Thanks

LC
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What do you guys think of this <$1000 build?

Post by LaughingCheese »

Or I might be able to use this CPU if I don't need all that power:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-347 ... ds=i5+3470

$183.79
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That build should burn through any game out there, with your only issue being running out of disk space after a while.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Do you already have a PSU and DVD-ROM (since they're not listed)? The link for the case is incorrect, it's a repeat of the RAM; the description for the case reads mini ITX but the MOBO is mATX. I just want to make sure the case supports mATX.

Otherwise, the specs aren't bad.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Do you already have a PSU and DVD-ROM (since they're not listed)? The link for the case is incorrect, it's a repeat of the RAM; the description for the case reads mini ITX but the MOBO is mATX. I just want to make sure the case supports mATX.

Otherwise, the specs aren't bad.
Oops lol, thanks, I'll fix that.

And yes I do have a PSU and a DVD drive.

Oh yeah, looks like I got my standards totally mixed up. lol

mATX != mini ITX
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

You'll need a different case to fit that MOBO.

How's this:http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Eli ... o+ATX+case
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:You'll need a different case to fit that MOBO.

How's this:http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Eli ... o+ATX+case
For that mobo yes.

But you got me thinking; the whole point of this build is to make something as small and powerful as possible (under $1k), so I actually really like the idea of the mini ITX mobo, I might switch even if costs a bit more.

I was looking at a mini ITX mobo earlier and didn't even realise the standard was different than micro atx.

(Shows how much of an enthusiast I am, I'm not! :lol: )

Thanks for your input!
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

A nit pick perhaps, make sure the RAM runs at 1.5V (higher voltages aren't supported by the memory controller built into the Intel 2nd or 3rd series I series chips). That RAM is rated to run at 1.5-1.65 but if you run it at its stock settings it should work without any danger to the CPU.

I'm a little cautious since I had an i7-2600 go bad that Intel support blamed on 1.65V RAM (though they still RMA'd it)
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:A nit pick perhaps, make sure the RAM runs at 1.5V (higher voltages aren't supported by the memory controller built into the Intel 2nd or 3rd series I series chips). That RAM is rated to run at 1.5-1.65 but if you run it at its stock settings it should work without any danger to the CPU.

I'm a little cautious since I had an i7-2600 go bad that Intel support blamed on 1.65V RAM (though they still RMA'd it)

Wow thanks for the warning! :shock:

EDIT: Unless the specs on amazon are a typo those do run at 1.5v.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Ok, revised build:

CPU:

Intel I5-3470: $183.79

Mobo:

Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 Intel H61 Express Chipset Mini ITX DDR3: $76.99

RAM:

Corsair XMS3 8GB: $46.98

GPU:

EVGA Geforce 650 Ti 2GB: $147.98

Storage:

Crucial M4 128GB SSD: $159.99

Case:

Coolermaster Elite Mini-ITX Case: $46.24

Total: $661.97!! :shock: Wow. That's a steal.

I think ITX is becoming my favorite PC form factor... :lol:
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

What about Windows?
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:What about Windows?
lol good point..+$91.17=$753.14

Still pretty good. Also upgradeable, and not limited to 32 or 64GB! :mrgreen:

Now it just needs a touchscreen and bam, DIY Surface! :roll:

EDIT: Actually I already have storage and RAM. The reason I list those is 1) I do want an SSD eventually, 2) I haven't been able to install windows on this computer for some reason, and I read that it may be because of a disk issue or memory issue. (Haven't gotten around to bothering to test it tho since I'm using Ubuntu.)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

A couple things, first, get a regular hard drive in addition to the SSD. That's a fantastic deal on the SSD you've picked but it's still only 256 GB and that's going to be tight if you start doing regular stuff with it. If you just use this as more or less a game console then you'll probably be fine, tied into some cloud gaming services like Steam so you only have to install what you want to play at the moment and you're fine. However if you want to be saving pictures, some movies, and doing other tasks I'd highly recommend getting a regular 1TB drive. You can get them for under $100 and it'll quintuple your storage. Just put your programs on the SSD and store all regular data on the spinny drive.

A couple other things, that mobo only runs SATA 2.0, not SATA 3.0. Your SSD is backwards compatible with SATA 2 but you're not going to get the speeds you expect. Also it has a PCI Express 2.0 slot but your graphics card wants a PCI Express 3.0. I also dislike it because it's only got two RAM slots. While 8GB is what I'd recommend for right now at some point in your computer's life you're going to want to go to 16GB and instead of just adding 8 you're going to have to throw away your current 8 and buy 16.

Finally, looking at that case and that Mobo and that video card there's a good chance it won't fit. Not to mention the fan intake is going to be pointed right at your side panel with a centimeter or two of open space so I'm real worried about cooling. Be prepared to potentially have to return the video card and hunt for a slimmer one.

Oh, and the Case doesn't have a PSU so you're gonna need one.

I know you're shooting for the tiny form factor but ITX has you giving up a lot to pack the components into a tiny box. I personally wouldn't recommend an ITX to a gamer.
Last edited by Tyyr on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Here's my alternate build.

CPU: i5-3470 You picked a great CPU for a gaming rig. Quad core, 3.2 Ghz. $199.00

CPU Cooler: XIGMATEK Gaia 120mm I'm kind of a cooling Nazi, but every computer problem I've ever had has been related to overheating so I make sure things stay cold. You can probably get away with the stock cooler as Intel's aren't horrible (not like AMD's garbage) but... well it's $20 to make sure your CPU never cooks itself. $19.99

Mobo: ASRock H77 Micro ATX You get 4 slots for RAM, a PCI Ex 3.0 slot, 2 USB 3.0 ports (on the back, yeah it's not perfect), 4 SATA 3 connectors, 4 SATA 2 Connectors, and it supports RAID set ups on board, and an eSATA connector for a very fast external hard drive. It's a very nice board. $89.99. There's a slightly less expensive option that has fewer SATA 3 connectors and no eSATA for $69.99 (regularly $79.99).

RAM: G.SKill RipJaws 2x4GB That'll leave you two slots open. Corsair is good stuff but I've had this in my last two desktops and it is rock solid. It's also 1.5v right out of the box. I swear by this RAM. $49.99

GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 My opinion of NVidia has been in decline. I have yet to upgrade my drivers that my system didn't immediately shit the bed and require a roll back to an older set to keep working. NVidia has driver issues. Good hardware and the drivers usually get sorted out but the drivers are such a pain in the ass it's not even funny. So I'm committing the ultimate sin of an NVidia fan boy and recommending an AMD card. $184.99 and you get a free copy of Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider. Kind of a good deal if you care about those games.

Storage: Crucial 256GB SATA 3 SSD Yeah, that SSD is kick ass enough that I'd go ahead and buy it right now. I'm trying to figure out how I could afford it myself. With the SATA 3 mobo you'll get the speed you expect out of it too. However I'd also add in a regular drive. If you current one is iffy replace it. Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7,200 rpm Again, this is my default drive. It's technically a SATA 3 drive but conventional hard disk technology isn't likely to make any use of that unless it's got what you're going to ask for cached. $159.99 + $79.99

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 It's going to be bigger than an ITx case but it's a mid tower so it's not a monolith either. The benefits you get are much, much better airflow and less concerns about the size of your video card. It's also a Cooler Master and it's got a bottom mounted PSU instead of a top mount. It comes with a pair of fans installed with space for several more 120mm fans if you're a spaz like me. $59.99

PSU: CORSAIR CX430M 430W BRONZE Certified Modular It's $3 more than the standard 430 but for that you get modular cables so you only use what you need and don't clutter up the case with lots of extras. $49.99

Odds and Ends: COOLER MASTER 120mm Case Fan 4 in 1 pack Enough fans to fill the extra openings in your case with some left over. You don't need 4 but then this is a hell of a deal. You can pay more and get some LED fans that's up to you. $11.99
SATA 3 Cables You want two, and use the ones that come with the board for your DVD-ROM and old hard drive. $8.58

$915.48 and with a copy of Windows 7 the grand total is $1,006.65. So forget I mentioned the extra fans.

So what do you get?

CPU: Same but with a cooler.
Mobo: SATA 3 Support, 2 more RAM slots, a PCI Express 3.0 Slot
RAM: 1.5V out of the gate
GPU: Double the VRAM
Storage: 1TB conventional Drive
Case: Better airflow, no space worries
PSU: You get one, and it's modular

So yes, you're paying a premium over what you've got listed but you still need a PSU for your build, you'll have no SATA 3 support so your SSD is hobbled, your GPU is hobbled by an older slot style, and I think cooling is going to be a real problem on more advanced games.

Oh, but I should mention this is not a set up designed for overclocking. The CPU and Mobo would need to be changed out. You'll have plenty of cooling but if you wanted to overclock this is not the set up for it. On the upside, there's not much point to overclocking. This thing will run every game that comes out for the next two years on high settings. I built my last PC on pretty much the same concept and I still hit over 50 FPS even with things maxed out on any game I've put on it. When it comes time to upgrade you'll have a PCIE 3.0 slot so with 8 more gigs of RAM and a new video card you'll be good for two more years for maybe $250.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

I wouldn't say any current video cards are "hobbled" by PCIe 2.0 since it still offers enough bandwidth for the current generation; PCIe 3.0 is more a matter of being ready for future cards that can saturate PCIe 2.0 and go beyond.

Most of the complaints enthusiasts have about Nvidia's current lineup I've seen revolve around value for the dollar; I've read as many complaints about AMD drivers as Nvidia. Come to think of it, the biggest complaints I tend to read about any piece of hardware are about crappy drivers. These driver coders just can't win.

--
I'm sorry to have gone on a tangent in this thread (well, :DITL: ). So I had extra time and when it comes to computer stuff... Anyway, I guess I went along with the OP with the small-build but there are downsides. One can design a system to fit the smallest possible space but there won't be much headroom at all, for heat dissipation or potential for expansion.