In the market for a new monitor

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

In the market for a new monitor

Post by LaughingCheese »

So,

My 19" (square :P ) Samsung 930B has served me well since I bought it 7 or so years ago. :P

Its only been my second monitor and its my first flat panel LCD (I vaguely remember the dark days of CRT :P ).

I've been looking at Asus primarily, but open to Samsung and possibly Acer.

Not sure about the quality of ViewSonic. Any of you use ViewSonic stuff?

Also I'm pretty sure I want a 27" class, have some Christmas cash so I figured what the heck. :lol:

Currently I'm thinking about this:

http://www.amazon.com/VS278Q-P-Ultrafas ... s+VS278Q-P

Though I've read some reviews that say the stand is wobbly. Kind of makes me wonder about the quality. The stand on my current monitor is sturdy. Why can't Asus do the same? Instead of trying to be stylish and such.

EDIT: I should mention I need a monitor with speakers/headphone jack so I can play the Xbox 360 with it.

Thanks

LC

EDIT: I thought my monitor was dying but apparently I had a DVI-HDMI cable laying around. Plugged that in and the picture seems to be slightly more sharp and clear. I think I'll give it a few more days and see if there still is any of the flashing and stuff with the new cable.

Otherwise, pretty sure I would get this monitor:

http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitor ... ifications

It was actually cheaper at Fry's than Amazon amazingly enough.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: In the market for a new monitor

Post by McAvoy »

One of the best things about today is the fact that monitors and TVs are the same.

Sorry best i got. Girlfried has me distracyted.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

We've had Acer monitors for years and they've been great. Never needed speakers though; couldn't say about that.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I haven't bothered with speaker monitors (mine is speakerless) since their sound generally isn't great. The actual speakers in the things are just too small. My HDTV I use connected through a set of external speakers also.

I haven't worked with a monitor of that size either; my monitor is a 23 inch full HD (HP, if you must know) LED. It's actually about the biggest I could fit into the space I have here (at least without reconfiguring the whole setup). In general ASUS has a pretty good reputation and that monitor seems like it should work pretty well.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Do not under any circumstances get Viewsonic, they have really bad quality and viewing angles.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

So I settled on this monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DW ... 00_s00_i00

And WOW!!

It came today (ordered it Tuesday night).

Its great, still getting used to the width lol.

And what's more, it has an earphone jack with an HDMI pass thru so I just hook up my headphones to the monitor and I get sound from the Xbox!! w00t.