Mass Effect 3

colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Mass Effect 3

Post by colmquinn »

I thought I'd make a thread since the release date is drawing close (6th March US and 9th March EU).

There is a demo available for download (on all formats I believe). It doesn't have any major spoilers in it, well nothing we haven't seen in any of the previous trailers or know was coming from playing the previous games.
I had planned on avoiding the demo in case it "cheapened" my experience of the main game but I couldn't resist tbh once I saw the icon on XBL. :Drool2: but I weakened and dl it last night. All it has done for me is make we want to travel forward in time a couple of weeks!

So have any of the rest of you pre ordered a copy? Will it be a release day purchase for you? Which choices made in previous games do you think you might live to regret?

Since the game isn't out yet I would hope any specific info anyone has should be spoilered prior to release.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Post by Mark »

I preordered my copy in 2010 lol :D I won't be at gamestop at midnight, but I'll be there later that day ;)
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Well i plan to be there before work to pick my copy up but then go to work, because I hate going into town around 5 (when I finish work usually) and then bunker in for the weekend with snaks & treats :-)
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Once I've paid for the MOT on my bike, I'm definitely going to have to invest in a copy. :twisted:
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

I'll first see if it's the disaster most fans seems to imply whenever they comment on the sneak peeks. Beside Fallout, I don't think I've seen a fanbase so hellbent on criticizing every-frakking-thing about an upcoming game.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:I'll first see if it's the disaster most fans seems to imply whenever they comment on the sneak peeks.
Really? I haven't seen any such critism, but maybe I've just missed it. The only thing that comes to mind is the launch Day DLC, which is quite possibly outrageous, though I didn't expect anything different from EA.
Bite my shiny metal ass
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Apature Science... I mean Allience Science .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG6qWxEJtek
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

For some reason my computer can't play it (mind you its the Demo, not gonna pay for the real one if it won't work).

It surpasses the recommended specs, and yet when running it can't get above 1fps. And the only suggestion from EA support was to reinstall it... 3 times.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Thats why I use an Xbox - no hassle with recommended specs :-)

BTW I'm bout 20 hours in (not getting the time I want to play it) but enjoying it. Big decisions being made, galaxy to be saved and all that. Some nice scenes of how its effecting Shep being the one person who everyone relies on to save them.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Just got it last night, with the walkthrough book.

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

If you want to compare Mass Effect to Star Wars it works quite well. Mass Effect 1 is like A New Hope. It establishes characters, settings, and even has an excellent climax. Mass Effect 2 is The Empire Strikes Back, focused heavily on the characters and moves the plot forward some.

Mass Effect 3 is the Holiday Special.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Mark wrote:Just got it last night, with the walkthrough book.

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Rannoch Reaper will be interesting. Make sure to save the Quarian Admiral first, do Legion's quest before the battle, then you get to decide the Geth and Quarian future.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The Rannoch Reaper, gah that blew.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Out of interest, was the shit-storm about the ending justified. (and what was it about)
Bite my shiny metal ass
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Griffin wrote:Out of interest, was the shit-storm about the ending justified. (and what was it about)
Yes.

There are many many reviews on the ending itself.

The largest issue is that no matter what you have done throughout 3 games, there are only 3 endings, with a minor variation in one of them (so four if you count a 10 second clip variation as a different ending). All those side bits that have been done throughout the 3 games matter for nothing as even in the worst case situation with games 1 and 2, you can still achieve all 3 endings (just with more work).

Now there is the Indoctrination Theory, which shows promise, but IMO gives way to much credit to Bioware.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.