Windows 8

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Windows 8

Post by Teaos »

Windows 8, the solution to a problem no one had!!
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Personally I really like the metro interface, on both my non touch computers.

However the marketplace is atrocious because it never fecking works, especially on my laptop.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Reliant121 wrote:Personally I really like the metro interface, on both my non touch computers.
Perfectly serious question, do you feel like you are more efficient at getting things down with Metro or is it just a different way of doing things?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Tyyr wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:Personally I really like the metro interface, on both my non touch computers.
Perfectly serious question, do you feel like you are more efficient at getting things down with Metro or is it just a different way of doing things?
Generally speaking, yes. Most of my majorly used items are in a row of tiles right at the very beginning of the metro screen; Skype for windows 8, steam, Microsoft office Tiles (though not very pretty atm) are all placed neatly at the front. Just a quick tap of the start key and its there. In terms of pure button presses it sort of eliminates the need to go start -> programs and then find what you're looking for. I've found using the scroll wheel on your mouse to roll along the metro pane even faster than our touch screen monitor downstairs so I tend to use that most of the time; anything I cant find just requires you to start typing straight on metro and it usually finds it immediately.

For my usage, browsing and social networking, I can do everything just as fast if not faster using the Metro interface. If you are into programming or into serious document work, the jury is out. But my needs are catered for much better with metro.

On an additional note, One of the computers referenced is a three year old Acer One 200 "Ferrari" (I didn't buy it, the ferrari shit is a gimmick). While it only has a 1.2ghz AMD Vision processor and 2gb of RAM, it is generally MUCH faster with windows 8. At least, it feels it.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Just out of curiosity Relient, for the Win8 desktop can you snap two windows next to each other like win7 or no?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Just out of curiosity Relient, for the Win8 desktop can you snap two windows next to each other like win7 or no?
Desktop mode in Windows 8 inherits all the features of the desktop in Windows 7, including "aero snap." You can also "snap" two Modern apps next side-by-side (though not equally, one is set to a sidebar about a fifth of the width of the screen and the other the remainder of the screen.) The Desktop app itself can be one of the snapped apps, so you could have an app snapped to the side next to the Desktop in which two desktop windows are snapped! It's all quite snappy yo could say.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

CPH Summed it up; yes, you can. Some metro apps snap into a small side bar to the left or the right which is great for skype etc which allow you to have a skype window permanently to the side of whatever main app you're opening (be it the desktop or be it a metro app like the various twitter apps there are).

Ultimately it's windows 7 with an added gucci interface which works rather well.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I thought as much. I had the consumer preview on my laptop but that was months ago. My memory of how it all works has gotten a bit fuzzy since then.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I just find it looks to busy, on my standard windows op page I always have less than 12 icons on the side. I like a tidy page.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Teaos wrote:I just find it looks to busy, on my standard windows op page I always have less than 12 icons on the side. I like a tidy page.
Then you can do the same with windows 8. Set the theme to a plain, grey and accent (orange usually) and reduce the icons right down. Half the metro apps I don't use cause they are USA specific so they could be reduced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Just out of curiosity, how does ST:O run on it Reliant?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I have played only fleetingly but it's played very well. It is a bit unfair because i recently upgraded my graphics card from a HD5560 to a Nvidea GTX 650 Ti so i cant really say how it played on windows 7 with equal spec but it plays great on the pc as it is.

Spec

2nd generation Intel i5 quad @ 2.8ghz
4gb RAM
Nvidea Geforce GTX650 Ti 1gb
Windows 8 64x
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Reliant121 wrote:I have played only fleetingly but it's played very well. It is a bit unfair because i recently upgraded my graphics card from a HD5560 to a Nvidea GTX 650 Ti so i cant really say how it played on windows 7 with equal spec but it plays great on the pc as it is.

Spec

2nd generation Intel i5 quad @ 2.8ghz
4gb RAM
Nvidea Geforce GTX650 Ti 1gb
Windows 8 64x
With my 650 (not ti), and an old core 2 duo 2.8, and 4GB DDR2, it can play 60+ fps on max settings (I cap fps at 60 because any higher gives me headaches). So even with old equipment, the 650s can keep up with ease. I don't think any differences would be noticed between 7 and 8 with that card.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well it's a 2009 vintage MMO so the graphical requirements are going to be pretty modest.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yep. Though the 650 can manage any game I've found so far, even Arkham City on full, with no issues. Its a great card, especially for the price.

Talking with people online who have played STO on both 7 and 8, most didn't notice any difference in performance. However, none of them had extremely low end equipment.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.