Windows 8

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Windows 8

Post by Tyyr »

That's the problem.
I meant it more than its just as good as windows 7's system
What's my motivation to upgrade? After spending two weeks learning the new way of doing things I will be as proficient as I was using 7. So... save myself two weeks and just keep using 7.

To me the biggest issue with 8 is that Microsoft did a shit job of promoting it. "It boots faster!" Who cares. I reboot my computer every two weeks, maybe. With old fashioned spinning HD's I can boot in 30 seconds. People with SSD's already boot in 15 seconds or less. So Windows 8 reduces that to 7 or 8 seconds. Ummm, yay? "It's leaner and more efficient!" This might matter if people were using their hardware anywhere near capacity. Most don't. Most people have dual or quad core computers with 4+ GB of RAM and the hardest thing the computer does is play a YouTube video while surfing Facebook. They've got a 1TB drive and the biggest space consumer on it is 8GB of MP3's. Systems are so overpowered compared to what people do with them increasing the efficiency is just pointless for your average home user. There are systems that will benefit from the boost no doubt but again, shitty marketing. Then there's the issue people ask with, "Will my programs work under the new system?" Ummm, maybe?

Windows 8 didn't originate from a need consumers had, it originated from a need Microsoft's boardroom had. They wanted a piece of the walled garden pie. They wanted to emulate what Apple and Google had done and they went for it. The problem is that the result doesn't really do anything for the consumer. Windows 7 is a great product that works the way people expect Windows to work. Producing a new OS with minimal improvements over 7 then marketing it as little more than cool its pretty much flopping. To say that the market is lukewarm towards 8 would be a huge understatement.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Interesting article on the updates on Windows 8, its sales history and its current problems.

Link
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

The timeline for business users to update has been extended (as an update at the end of the article notes). This next part...
For many it is no big deal. Just update and be quick about it. But for anyone who chooses not to install every Microsoft update the moment it appears, like mainstream users or – let me think – most businesses around the world who have lengthy validation processes… it is another matter entirely.
seems to complain that some common users who don't do updates anyway won't be able to do updates without this update pack installed. Microsoft can't hold over a billion users' hands and guide them all. At the repair shop where I work there are some machines that come in with previous versions of Windows, without the latest service pack for that particular version installed. This is years after the release of those service packs and well past the deadline after which future updates depend on the SP (making it clear the user hadn't run updates in years, if at all). How much can the company do to save it's users from their own ignorance?

Another linked article discusses some sales issues. Many of it's suggestions for Windows 9 sound good. On the other hand, while the unpopularity of 8 isn't helping sales it isn't by far the leading cause of the PC slump. Sales were in decline already, partly due to the weak economy, partly to a slowdown in the PC upgrade cycle as more people are finding that older machines are "fast enough" for common tasks so that the urgency to upgrade isn't what it was a decade ago, and in no small part the rise of tablets and phones cannibalizing some PC sales.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who