Windows 7 Tablets

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Windows 7 Tablets

Post by Tyyr »

1) A tablet is more portable than a laptop. There is no way I can open up my laptop on a flight, or in a car, or pretty much anywhere that doesn't have some major wide open space. A tablet doesn't have those issues. Since I have a desktop I use at home and my laptop is for traveling this is actually a pretty significant selling point to me.

2) The kids can use a tablet. My kids get touch devices. I have a heck of a time teaching my kid how to use the keyboard and mouse he figured out a touch screen in about three seconds. One of the reasons we want a tablet is for the kids to play with. Yes they can use one of our phones but if they do they are using a phone, and they're too small for both the kids to get in on what's going on with them.

3) Internet access. The tablet doesn't really beat the laptop here but the internet over a tablet, especially one of these Windows 7 ones, is vastly better than on a smartphone if only for the added screen real estate.

4) For those of us with thick fingers typing anything of length on a smartphone is a royal pain in the ass. A tablet's larger keyboard solves that problem.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:
Mikey wrote:I didn't say anything about carrying a television. Yo said you were rained in while on holiday - surely, anywhere you are rained in (e.g., your hotel) has some form of entertainment media more advanced than a Punch-and-Judy show?
You obviously don't go on holiday in Europe. The all seem to speak some sort of foreign language, it quite odd. All there television programs also, for some reason I've yet to figure out, also seem to be struck by the same affliction. Every single channel, it's as if they have no respect for the master language and the needs of it's speakers. :(

Plus the TVs in most hotels you go to are rather old. They don't have much in the way of digital external inputs, or analogue ones for that point. Connecting things to them would require quite an arsenal of cables to be taken with you.
No, I don't. My wife and I have certainly talked about going, when the kids are older, to see our ancestral areas in Ukraine and Poland, as well as Rome and a few other destinations; but now, I may rethink that. ;) I certainly didn't mean local, foreign-language (to you) broadcast programming is a substitute for watching a favorite move - rather, that hotels (in the U.S., the bulk of my experience) offer movie channels, a wide variety of on-demand movie programming, and are easily connected via RCA plugs, micro-USB, or s-video to a portable DVD player or other media playback device.
Tyyr wrote:There is no way I can open up my laptop on a flight, or in a car, or pretty much anywhere that doesn't have some major wide open space.
The car I can see, especially if you're driving. However, most flights or trains have at least 30% of the passengers working on a laptop. Even if you're in the cargo hold, there should be more than adequate space to use a laptop.
Tyyr wrote:The kids can use a tablet. My kids get touch devices. I have a heck of a time teaching my kid how to use the keyboard and mouse he figured out a touch screen in about three seconds. One of the reasons we want a tablet is for the kids to play with.
I can see the advantage of a tablet over a phone, but I don't really get the idea of needing an internet and computing device for kids to play with - and yes, I do have children. I use a laptop or PC for my daughter when I want to illustrate something for her, let her research something, or use an age-appropriate website; the fact that a laptop or PC requires a bit of education shouldn't really be a deterrent. My daughter didn't know how to play soccer before she started a youth soccer program, but I didn't count that as a good reason to disallow her to play. As far as pure entertainment/distraction/shut-up value, a portable DVD player would do better - for which a laptop can double.
Tyyr wrote:The tablet doesn't really beat the laptop here
My point... and further, if you actually need to type something, a laptop or netbook is much easier than a tablet.
Tyyr wrote:For those of us with thick fingers typing anything of length on a smartphone is a royal pain in the ass. A tablet's larger keyboard solves that problem.
See above. I've found that the stretched real estate (certainly easier on the eyes, as you've mentioned, than a phone but not as much over a netbook) makes the use of a virtual keyboard far more difficult than that of a phone.

In any event, guys, my point was never that tablets are completely useless, or that they don't have advantages in certain specific applications. It was - and remains - that the vast majority of tablet users that I've encountered seem to have as their primary motivation the wish to display to the world just how cool and mod they are.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:The car I can see, especially if you're driving. However, most flights or trains have at least 30% of the passengers working on a laptop. Even if you're in the cargo hold, there should be more than adequate space to use a laptop.
Except that there's not. Maybe if you've got a netbook but I haven't been on a flight in the last six years that I could open up either of my laptops on, not unless I was content to have the screen pitched over at 45 degrees and I don't mind pushing the spacebar with my chin. And I've never seen that many people using a laptop, ever. I've seen a few netbooks open lately but outside of first class I can't recall anyone who had a laptop open and working on it for more than a couple of minutes because there's just no room.
I can see the advantage of a tablet over a phone, but I don't really get the idea of needing an internet and computing device for kids to play with
Neither do I. However the fact that the kids can use it is one of the benefits.
- and yes, I do have children. I use a laptop or PC for my daughter when I want to illustrate something for her, let her research something, or use an age-appropriate website; the fact that a laptop or PC requires a bit of education shouldn't really be a deterrent. My daughter didn't know how to play soccer before she started a youth soccer program, but I didn't count that as a good reason to disallow her to play.
So tempted to use my captain obvious image right here. I'm not disallowing either of my kids of trying to learn to use the keyboard and mouse. I've put in a good bit of time teaching my boy how to play minecraft. However my kids are 4 and 2. They can learn to use a keyboard and mouse eventually but what's wrong with letting them use something they have an easy time with. The tablet is the equivalent of youth soccer for a computer. It gets them used to dealing with a computer while they learn the more advanced skills of other imput devices.

As far as pure entertainment/distraction/shut-up value, a portable DVD player would do better - for which a laptop can double.
And a tablet can as well. The laptop has zero advantage over the tablet in this case. And actually to me it's got an advantage because I'd rather see my kid playing a game on a tablet than staring at a screen watching a movie.
My point... and further, if you actually need to type something, a laptop or netbook is much easier than a tablet.
Actually given the option between a tablet and a netbook I'll take the tablet for typing.
See above. I've found that the stretched real estate (certainly easier on the eyes, as you've mentioned, than a phone but not as much over a netbook) makes the use of a virtual keyboard far more difficult than that of a phone.
Tablets in general have more screen realestate than a netbook. In fact the tablet this thread is about has a 12.1 inch screen. The norm for a netbook is about 10 inches. This tablet has over 40% more screen realestate than a netbook. The iPad 1 has a 9.7" screen but a slightly higher resolution than most netbooks. All that extra screen space gets the virtual keyboard on par with the netbook's keyboard if not even a bit larger. I've always found netbook keyboards cramped for any kind of heavy typing.
In any event, guys, my point was never that tablets are completely useless, or that they don't have advantages in certain specific applications. It was - and remains - that the vast majority of tablet users that I've encountered seem to have as their primary motivation the wish to display to the world just how cool and mod they are.
That may have been your intention but when you try and rebuff every possible advantage of tablet and portray other options as being superior it seems less like it's an observation and more a point you're trying to prove.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I haven't been on a flight in the last six years that I could open up either of my laptops on, not unless I was content to have the screen pitched over at 45 degrees and I don't mind pushing the spacebar with my chin. And I've never seen that many people using a laptop, ever. I've seen a few netbooks open lately but outside of first class I can't recall anyone who had a laptop open and working on it for more than a couple of minutes because there's just no room.
Did you have to help start the props, too? ;) The only space issue I've run into is elbow room, side-to-side.
Tyyr wrote:The tablet is the equivalent of youth soccer for a computer. It gets them used to dealing with a computer while they learn the more advanced skills of other imput devices.
Fair enough, I suppose, if you're willing to spend the money on the device and the monthly for the intermediate device. If you have on for other uses, and are willing to let your kids use it as well, that expense would be mitigated.
Tyyr wrote:And a tablet can as well. The laptop has zero advantage over the tablet in this case.
You have a tablet with a DVD/Blu-ray drive?
Tyyr wrote:And actually to me it's got an advantage because I'd rather see my kid playing a game on a tablet than staring at a screen watching a movie.
I'd say that's reversed - the laptop can play a disc AND play a game.
Tyyr wrote:Actually given the option between a tablet and a netbook I'll take the tablet for typing.
I guess this one will have to come down to personal preference. In my experience, one needs hands like Wilt Chamberlain in order to type comfortably on a tablet's virtual keyboard.
Tyyr wrote:That may have been your intention but when you try and rebuff every possible advantage of tablet and portray other options as being superior it seems less like it's an observation and more a point you're trying to prove.
OK, so you like tablets, so I shouldn't discuss my opinions? Sorry to have bothered you.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Alright, I'm obviously not making myself clear. Tyyr - you obviously have a tablet. Windows, iPad, Android, doesn't matter for the purposes of this exercise. Here's my question: which of the following devices have you gotten rid of or otherwise been able to dispense with since you got your tablet, directly due to having gotten a tablet:
- mobile phone (smartphone, feature phone, whatever you may have had prior to getting your tablet)
- netbook
- full-sized laptop
- PC
- e-book reader (Kindle, Nook, whatever)
- portable DVD/Blu-Ray player
- iPod or other music player

If you have not gotten rid of your netbook a/o laptop, do you find that such a device is a better computer/more useful/more versatile for professional use? If so, when you travel for business do you take both a tablet and a laptop?
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I can't answer for Tyyr but:

We got rid of a full size laptop, e-Book Reader, Portable film player, Music player.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:I can't answer for Tyyr but:

We got rid of a full size laptop, e-Book Reader, Portable film player, Music player.
Excellent! Now, did you notice a decline in capability, for whatever usage you commonly make of it, between the laptop and the tablet? Did you notice a practical difference in using "hard" media (i.e., DVD's or Blu-Ray discs) and strictly digital media? Do you find the size of the tablet a hindrance in using it to replace your iPod/whatever?
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Okay.

For laptop: Yes and no. Typing out long word documents or spreadsheets was more difficult, not completely undo-able, but more difficult. While I type extraordinarily fast on any touch screen (Text generation teen, what do you expect?) it still can't match up to a keyboard. Now admittedly, a traditional small netbook keyboard is beaten hands down by a tablet keyboard because I find them too small (I have very thin fingers but my actual hand span is enormous). For social networking and IM, the tablet was easier. It's just quicker and more streamlined. There are some advanced features you miss out on, but they are only needed on rare occasions. As for gaming: clearly, full scale gaming is not going to happen on a tablet. Then again, very few laptops I've ever owned can realistically live up to it either. In fact, the android games that I've acquired have all been much better so I think it was an improvement. Browsing is both good and bad: touch screen navigation is quick, and easy; but the tablet's i've used have essentially been enormous mobiles so they don't format properly.

Overall: IM/Social Networking = +
Document editing = -
Browsing = /
Gaming = +

For digital/physical media: Digital media is by far easier to carry around with you. A decent sized microSD card can carry a fair few movies on it at a time. The iPad when we had one was a little more complicated, mainly because you have to use iTunes but it's still more convenient than carrying a pack of discs with you. HOWEVER, getting digital files for movies has been a REAL pain in the ass. We had to find a piece of software that would rip movies and that's always a trial and error game. And I don't even think many computers can play a Blu-ray, let alone a tablet. But tbh, there's no real point. The definition is only noticeable on a big screen; detail will be lost on a small screen of a portable/tablet.

Overall: Once you've managed to rip it, easily better than a portable player. Ripping it is time consuming.

For music playing: Size of tablet can be a hindrance, yes. It's ideal for using music while browsing or surfing at home/bus/train. As music player on it's own; I think it is a little too cumbersome. But that's why I carry a smartphone (of which I have NEVER go ANYWHERE without).
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Fairly said, all of it. Now, in general, would you carry your smartphone AND a tablet, or just your smartphone?
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Smartphone all the way. A tablet is a home device for me, maybe some note taking at college but I'd prefer my netbook because I can touch type then.

And my smartphone is a damn sight more reliable and fast than my tablet. Not a fan of Samsung.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Using the Galaxy S?
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Phone: I have a HTC Desire HD. It's roughly equivalent to Verizon'z Thunderbolt.

Tablet wise: I have a Samsung GalaxyTab (the original one)
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

As I see it, and I'm probably repeating points already made here :-

Tablets in general are for media consumption, for work most people I've spoken too still prefer a laptop. However, Tablets (though possibly not Windows 7 versions) have the advantage of being on most of the time. You can pick one up and put it away as you would a magazine or a newspaper.

There are also several uses for a Tablet that a Laptop would be unsuitable for. Ipads are being used a lot in the professional world as they can be used easier whilst walking around, and are more convenient then carrying around several books or other forms of written data. No doubt when Android become more widely available they will be used in the same way, if not already.

I've no use for one personally, I have a main laptop on my desk which is used for work and as a media centre. If I'm watching a film on it I switch to my netbook which sits on my coffee table. As for smartphones vs tablets - I went half way and got a 5inch Dell Streak. People still argue over wether its a Tablet or Phone, but either way it suits my needs. Its small enough to carry everywhere, yet big enough to be used as an ebook reader, browse the web, listen to music/podcasts and is great for reading emails on. It doesn't do any of these things as well as dedicated devices would, but I get to take it anywhere and its good enough.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."