Chromebooks/ Chrome OS

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Chromebooks/ Chrome OS

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Google is close to releasing a new operating system, built on a stripped-down Linux core and whose entire user interface is a modified version of the Chrome browser. It's certainly a radical new approach to a web-only device and might appeal to a certain set of people. The highly simplified system can't and isn't meant to be an all-purpose OS and for more advanced users like myself it wouldn't be of much use. Initially it will ship pre-loaded on netbooks running the same Atom CPUs as most Windows netbooks, to be called Chromebooks.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the idea. It's not for me but could it work for your parents or such?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Chromebooks/ Chrome OS

Post by Nickswitz »

I think it's a brilliant idea, and for some of my clients I may look into when they release, since they are as cheap as most netbooks, and have open source (free and legal at the same time!) software all over them. I also like the subscription models for students and businesses, makes it even more appealing, especially since the atom cores are becoming more and more sophisticated.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Primefalcon
Petty officer first class
Petty officer first class

Re: Chromebooks/ Chrome OS

Post by Primefalcon »

I can see the convenience, but honestly I don't like the idea of everything and I mean everything being stored at one company...... honestly though..... I can see this catching on but it's not for me