Babylon 5 May be Coming Back!!!

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Babylon 5 May be Coming Back!!!

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:That depends how you define "written". It had all the story arcs drafted from the start, but the details were fleshed out as they went along as with any other show. There was no other way to do it, given that they had to allow for actors coming and going.
JMS had his "trapdoors" put in for characters which turned out to be a great idea in the end. And yes, I didn't intend to imply that the very episode scripts were written out ahead of time.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah all of the characters had ways of leaving of the actors wanted to leave. I think he wrote detailed decriptions on majority of the episodes but never entire scripts. At the very least he had an extremely good idea on how the series would go which is solely lacking in 99.9% of all series.

I personally would like to see a remastered B5 for Blu Ray.

If I were to guess maybe something on between the Season 5 of Babylon 5 and it's decomissioning.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Problem is that we are missing a lot of the characters for that era... It leaves a major gap in things.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:JMS had his "trapdoors" put in for characters which turned out to be a great idea in the end.
There's no way a series like B5 could have worked without them - the old saying about plans and contact springs to mind. Still, I agree that the concept was very cleverly executed.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think that's the very reason he had those traproofs. It allowed him to move his storylines without losing the story.
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

I propose a restart of this:

The spin-off series Crusade ran on TNT for 13 episodes, having been set up by the TV film A Call to Arms. The production team received help from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory to make sure that the series depicted science and technology accurately. However, creative differences between Straczynski and TNT caused problems; the network wanted more sex and violence, and forced Straczynski to begin the first episode with a fistfight. The sex-and-violence request was later withdrawn, and TNT allocated more money to Crusade, giving the actors better uniforms and new sets mid-season. However, due to the creative differences, TNT eventually decided to cancel the series after 13 episodes had been produced, but before any of them were aired. At the time of the cancellation, only hints of major story arcs had yet come into play, though unproduced scripts published online by Straczynski—in addition to comments made by him online, at conventions, and on the Crusade DVD commentaries—reveal that these arcs would have become prominent features of the series, had it continued.

This series was just starting to get interesting when the plug got pulled. I'd like to see this. Set in the same universe and on the coat-tails of B5 but with a different cast. Biggs would be the hardest workaround, but the rest could be 'offscreen'.
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

From what I've heard, one of their strongly pushed suggestions for Crusade was that the ship have a woman whose method of learning about alien cultures was to have sex with them during first contact. :shock:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well to be fair, it was TNT... Ted Turner wanted a sex scene in "Gettysberg".
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Well.

Apparently JMS is NOT in negotiations as I found out from an updated version of the article I posted. :(

http://trekmovie.com/2011/08/17/koenig- ... to-chekov/
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Disappointing. Eventually I guess.

At the very least I would like to see a remastered version of B5. even as cartoony or video gameish the TOSR was, its better than the B5 is.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I never minded the effects in B5. Maybe because the physics were much more realistic.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I don't know how keen I'd be on this to tell you the truth, unless it was a B5:TNG kind of thing. We know that B5 was the last of the Babylon stations....so they'd need to create something new. How about doing the temporal jump thing and following B4 now? Didn't they have some great mission? I'm a bit foggy right now.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mark wrote:I don't know how keen I'd be on this to tell you the truth, unless it was a B5:TNG kind of thing. We know that B5 was the last of the Babylon stations....so they'd need to create something new. How about doing the temporal jump thing and following B4 now? Didn't they have some great mission? I'm a bit foggy right now.
B4 was taken back in time by 1000 years and given to the Minbari as a base of operations to use against the Shadows in the last war.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Mark wrote:I don't know how keen I'd be on this to tell you the truth, unless it was a B5:TNG kind of thing. We know that B5 was the last of the Babylon stations....so they'd need to create something new. How about doing the temporal jump thing and following B4 now? Didn't they have some great mission? I'm a bit foggy right now.
B4 was taken back in time by 1000 years and given to the Minbari as a base of operations to use against the Shadows in the last war.
Which is an option to explore, but runs the risk of ruining it all because of the inherent danger of doing prequels.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But the great part is that once it's jumped around in time, it can surely do so again. What happened to it after the war? They could pull one of the "it was called away again for some great mission card" with very little effort.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.