War of the Week

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: War of the Week

Post by Deepcrush »

You're talking about the Thunderbolts, at the time which our WotW is placed they were only just entering service. While I listed them in the Fleet Lists, the bulk of the fighters in use by EF were still Aurora and Badger class. Also, while the Thunderbolts could operate in Atmo, they weren't very good dogfighters in atmo. The Sentri still has superiority in that environment.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well since everyone has had a chance to post I'll put up my thoughts.

Win or lose... I'm calling it a stalemate. I don't honestly see either side as having the ability to take the other out of the fight.

The EA clearly has the short game in this. They can afford more losses and replace those losses faster then the CR. Also, on the defensive the EA will be in yet another clear advantage as they'll have base mounted defenses and fighters supporting their fleet. In the end, any CR attack on Sol would be meaningless and since this is the only way then can win the war. It shows us they simply couldn't win. Though as I said a stalemate the EA also has a problem. That being the long game, aka, ranged combat. EA ships are slower with shorter operating ranges then the CR counterparts. Where the EA has a strong defensive advantage, going on the offensive is a bad idea. Stretching out means leaving the EA supply lines open to attack. Since the CR would no doubt be raiding these as they would be more lightly defended then a station or colony.

It wouldn't shock me to see the CR launch a strike against Sol just to take an ass-beating. Followed by the EA doing and getting the same in return. For different reasons but with the same outcomes both missions would fail. Followed by a long period of both sides just raiding each other's border colonies and outposts. This would most likely last until they both just got tired of the shooting.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

With no one else posting in this war I'm going to call it.

Seems that by most favor on here the war would end in a minor victory for the CR. Mark being the deciding vote as most everyone who spoke felt things were well balanced enough and I was the only other poster. In which I stated for a bloody stalemate. So the CR in this WotW performed well enough to beat the EA into admitting defeat and maybe claim a system or two but little more. Both are badly mauled and both will need time, money and people to fully rebuild.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Leaving the door open for the Narn to seek revenge against the Centauri.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:Leaving the door open for the Narn to seek revenge against the Centauri.
Pretty much, both sides would be in bad shape. The CR may win but it also has a lot more enemies. Plus the EA is mostly likely to rebuild first.

Now its time for our next WotW. Mark, do you want to pick or do you want me? Either way I'll do a quick write up for them so that newcomers can get a rough idea.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I picked the last one.......I'd say its your turn
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

How about Narn vs League of Non-Aligned Worlds?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:How about Narn vs League of Non-Aligned Worlds?
Sounds good, I'll write it up tomorrow. A little busy tonight with other DITL stuff.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Did anyone else ever wonder why the Narn carry Katanas?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Mark wrote:Did anyone else ever wonder why the Narn carry Katanas?
Duh, because it is only the most uber-awesome sword ever designed of course, and as soon as the Narn saw one they all went "OMG! must have!"

Right?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Because its a good close combat sword for use against the short swords that the CR issues its personnel. Superior range which adds to their all ready superior physical strength.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mark wrote:Did anyone else ever wonder why the Narn carry Katanas?
They did? I only remember one doing so, and I just assumed he'd seen it somewhere and liked it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sorry guys, I'll have the stat list up tonight.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

War of the Week

Narn Regime vs League of Non-Aligned Worlds.

Narn navel assets

Bin'Tak Class Dreadnought - Very long range very high output particle beam weapons, long range energy mines, low yield fusion warheads, high grade armor plating, 48 Frazi fighters. Primary use is as Carrier/Battleship/Command ship.

G'Quan Class Heavy Cruiser - Very long range high output particle beam weapons, long range energy mines, low yield fusion warheads, high grade armor plating, 12 Frazi fighters. Primary use is as front line warship.

T'nor Class Frigate - short range high output plasma weapons, low yield fusion warheads, medium grade armor plating. Primary use is as system monitor.

Advantages - The primary advantages of the Narn fleet is its long range heavy weaponry and armor. As seen during the Narn-Centari War, Narn ships have ranges that are only exceeded by Shadow Cruisers. This combined with their high armor value makes them ideal for stand off battles. This is almost required as their fighters are built mostly for anti-ship actions and fair poorly at best against the more modern fighter craft in use by the MF, CR and EA.

Assets of the League of Non-Aligned Worlds

Brakiri Cruiser - Medium range medium output pulse/beam particle weapons, low grade armor plating, 6-12 fighters or shuttles. The Brakiri use their cruisers mostly for patrol and trade duty, open fleet engagements are to costly to profits and as such are avoided as much as possible.

Drazi Gunship - Short range high output plasma weapons, low yield fusion warheads, minimal armor. Primary use is as patrol ship since the Drazi lack the funding needed to maintain a high grade fleet.

Vree light cruisers - Type One is an anti-ship model with short range high output Ion weapons, Type Two is an anti-fighter model with a large number of short range low output pulse Ion weapons. These ships often work in pairs, the AA model flying in front clearing the way then braking off to allow the AS model to attack enemy capital ships.

Gaim Cruiser - This is a hard thing to factor as each one is slightly different then any other. They have a mix of short range high output plasma weapons and long range fusion warheads and maybe some railcannons. What they all have in common is weak hulls due to the Gaim's lack of concern for losses in war. The Gaim have impressive numbers of their ships and are rather impressive and close range where their lack of fear can be used properly.

Advantages - The real advantage of the LoNAW is that they are spread out far more then the Narn. They make up dozens of worlds, large and small which makes them hard to pin in. The Dilgar learned this as they had to fight across the map to maintain their advance. The LoNAW also has a far greater money supply then the Narn could ever dream of. The Brakiri and Gaim are merchants of the highest order.

This one was tough to write up as we know little about the LoNAW in a war situation. I had to rewatch several eps of B5 and barrow some detail from my own thoughts to fill in the gaps. I do believe I've remained general enough on things to remain unbiased but if I am mistaken please let me know and I'll change what I need to.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Personally I think it would be a narrow Narn victory. The have a clear and decided advantage in fleet battles, due to the predominantly long range firing set up that will virtually mince through the larger warships like the Brakiri and Drazi fleets. The Frazi class is ideal taking on the league ships when they get into close range which is where they are at their strongest.none of the league races field many fighters to threaten the Frazi, apart from the Vree which would ideally be combated by the Narn capital ships.

However the total Narn fleet has never been represented as large, and the combined league fleets would be massive. Add to that the huge swathes of league space to deal with makes for a hard to fight strategic battle. Overall i think the narn will get a narrow victory as any fight they choose will be easy for them. But they could struggle with the sheer size of league space.