Ship of the Week: White Star-class Cruiser

SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ship of the Week: White Star-class Cruiser

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Discuss. What are your thoughts on these little ships that were built from Minbari and Earthforce Tech?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Ship of the Week: White Star-class Cruiser

Post by Monroe »

Probably the best ships in the series. Almost a bit wanktastic though since they could take on pretty much anything their size with ease and maneuvered like a fighter.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Monroe wrote:Probably the best ships in the series. Almost a bit wanktastic though since they could take on pretty much anything their size with ease and maneuvered like a fighter.
Many people compare them to the Defiant.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think she was too powerful for her size, but a good ship nonetheless. And on the Defiant note, i think the Defiant is overpowered so it all fits.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yep, the Defiant of B5, without the benefit of actually looking like a warship.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

They were rather powerful, but being a new class of ship, and combining Vorlon technology as well, it can be forgiven.

And they weren't indestructible by any means - Earth Force ships took out quite a number of them during the war to liberate Earth, and their numbers were wittled down slowly but surely during the Alliance that followed.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Correction for you SSM. The White Stars are Minbari/Vorlon tech, not Earth tech.

I never saw them as over powered. They were overall far weaker then the Sharlin. Their advantage was their smaller size/cost/crew. Also that their fire power was focused fully forward.

On the downside. EA ships seemed to have little trouble returning the hurt, when they could hit them.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I have only seen them taking on shadow ships so far, and it completely mullered the shadows when almost all the other ships, including the Sharlin, struggled to even hit the damn thing.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Reliant121 wrote:I have only seen them taking on shadow ships so far, and it completely mullered the shadows when almost all the other ships, including the Sharlin, struggled to even hit the damn thing.
I don't remember that. I remember the first one taking down a shadow ship through a combination of using a telepath to basically freeze the ship, then pounding away at it for 30+ seconds of continous fire from it's main gun, and even then it took a Narn heavy joining in with it's main guns before they finally killed it. Had it been just a ship vs ship fight, the shadow vessel would have ripped the WS apart.

The two big things I recall being big about the WS's were them being the smallest ship (aside from the vorlons and shadows) able to make it's own jump gate, and having an adaptive shielding system that learned it's enemies weapons and become stronger against them each time.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its not a shield but the hull itself that adapts. The WS is in fact alive. Also, they were able to lock onto the Shadows because their targeting systems are Vorlon.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Deepcrush wrote:Its not a shield but the hull itself that adapts. The WS is in fact alive. Also, they were able to lock onto the Shadows because their targeting systems are Vorlon.
I thought they had shields, unlike 99% of the races' ships. Then again, it's been years, so I can't say my memories are fresh. I knew they were bio-ships, though I don't remember the shadow ships using stealth systems, I thought that was the Mimbari.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Remember when the Leader of Zeta Wing went out looking for the Shadow Cruiser in the area. He couldn't track the ship itself, only the wake left in hyperspace.

The only race that uses shielding is the Centari on their older Battlecruisers IIRC.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Deepcrush wrote:Remember when the Leader of Zeta Wing went out looking for the Shadow Cruiser in the area. He couldn't track the ship itself, only the wake left in hyperspace.

The only race that uses shielding is the Centari on their older Battlecruisers IIRC.
...damn, it's just been too long I guess, I don't remember either. I need to toss the series onto my netflix.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lighthawk wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Remember when the Leader of Zeta Wing went out looking for the Shadow Cruiser in the area. He couldn't track the ship itself, only the wake left in hyperspace.

...damn, it's just been too long I guess, I don't remember either. I need to toss the series onto my netflix.
The first two seasons are on Hulu. That should save you some money. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I can't wait for season three!