Why Weren't the Drazi on the Council?

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Why Weren't the Drazi on the Council?

Post by Monroe »

After the Narn were conquerored by the Centauri they certainly weren't powerful anymore. The Drazi appear to have over 8 systems at that point (as the Centauris demand they surrender 7). They're also probably the most militaristic of the League of Non-Alligned Worlds. You'd think once the Narn were taken out of the place the League would vote to have the Drazi take the Narn's position.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Abraxas
Senior chief petty officer

Re: Why Weren't the Drazi on the Council?

Post by Abraxas »

Well, I think the Narn were still plenty strong compared to the LoNAW. Sure, they couldn't have taken on the other major races, but once the Centauri started making gains no smaller race interviened... I'm guessing cause the Narn were still pretty tough.

But it could also be political. After all, the Narn gave the EA several weapons to fight the Minbari, and considering Earth probably couldn't have totally afforded them (there currency was "devalued on the intersteller market"), EA probably repaid the Narn's with a seat on the council.

But most importantly, when Babyon 5 was first built and the council was set up, the Narn were still a powerful foe. I mean, the show started with the Narn's lashing out at Ragesh 3, so in the end, I'm guessing the Narn were still a pretty powerful force in the galaxy.

As for the Drazi, I remember reading that they were the most powerful military force in the LaNAW, and the show backed that up pretty well. But looking at other "on-screen" evidence, I'm guessing they have poor infustructure and diplomatic capabilities, which would limit their ability to garner intersteller recognition.

Just my 2 cents...
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Good points. Also the Drazi tend to have a civil war every few years :P
Where did you do reading from? I'm interested in learning more about B5 once I'm done with the TV show.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Well, I've read a lot of the books.

The only things I haven't read are the 3rd installment of the Techno-mage trilogy (didn't like the series much) and the telepath saga (I just keep forgetting to get it). I also have read a few of the "Agents of Gaming" books for Babylon 5 Wars.

But in the end, I'm just a B5 nerd and if I haven't read it somewhere I've probably deduced it from the show and just pretend it's fact :wink: .
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

lol right on. I didnt even know there were books. Are the books considered canon like Star Wars or not like Star Trek?

-Remain Star Trek-
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Monroe wrote:lol right on. I didnt even know there were books. Are the books considered canon like Star Wars or not like Star Trek?
IIRC, the B5 Wars books were given blanket aproval by JMS. As for the works of fiction... I'm not entirely sure. I vaguely remember the author of the "Fall of Centauri Prime" spaking with JMS often, but don't take my word for it.

I think the books are on a case-by-case basis.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

JMS said that the source books and novels were cannon but he holds the right to over take them with film if he ever wants to change anything.

"B5 Wars" and "A Call to Arms" have a lot of great info if anyone is looking to get into B5. You won't get as much as you would from some of the novels but they have a lot of detail and go pretty far out to explain everything.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu