Marcebs did what ENT did not?

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Marcebs did what ENT did not?

Post by Monroe »

I was thinking about how ENT did that whole AIDS thing with the Vulcans only 15 years after when they should have and how they weren't as barrier breaking as TOS was. And I got to thinking about an episode of B5 when the Marcebs came down with a plague that ended up wiping out their entire civilization. Because people associated the disease with corruption they pretended it wasn't ravaging their civilization and in the end it destroyed them. Which is kind of a big deal as B5 is fairly low on the alien count-o-meter. Well it wasn't until a little while later did I realize that episode was a huge metaphore for the AIDS virus and the episode was on air in 1995. If Trek had handled AIDS in '95 maybe that would have been a barrier pushing episode too.

Just another reason why B5 writers rock.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Marcebs did what ENT did not?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Very true.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Here here! :drink:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Another thing I noticed was Ivanna and Taira or whatever the Psy officer's name was were lovers o.o They never came out and said it but there's a lot to indicate that. And to my knowlwedge that was the first mainstream Sci-Fi that had a lesbian relationship.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Monroe wrote:Another thing I noticed was Ivanna and Taira or whatever the Psy officer's name was were lovers o.o They never came out and said it but there's a lot to indicate that. And to my knowlwedge that was the first mainstream Sci-Fi that had a lesbian relationship.
It's recognised that Ivonava was Bi but there is nothing explict in the show.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think Ivanova is one of the best characters there, without question.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I didn't even realize that. Good point Monroe.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Thats what I always loved about how they handled the issue - they didn't flaunt it, or even hint at it really. There's only 2 scenes I can think of where any reference is made to it.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

kostmayer wrote:Thats what I always loved about how they handled the issue - they didn't flaunt it, or even hint at it really. There's only 2 scenes I can think of where any reference is made to it.
Aye. When she had to tell Delenn a secret and the last episode with Winters in it when Winters reached across the bed to find Ivanna missing after that sexual pause as they looked at each other.
I wouldn't have minded seeing that >.<

-Remain Star Trek-