B5 Reboot movie?

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

B5 Reboot movie?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I saw some of the show but never watched it regularly. However, I did come across this bit today:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/08/ ... get-movie/
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: B5 Reboot movie?

Post by Captain Seafort »

This has the potential to be very, very good.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Awesome.

So who is going to play who? Obviously there will be new actors to play the old roles.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Is this thing safe from executive meddling, though?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

According to an article I read, JMS has the movie rights and says he will finance it through his own production company if needed. If he can go that route, there won't be an executive to meddle with him. But then if he goes that route, how much money will he be able to raise for it? Every installment of B5 has been hobbled to one extent or another by budget - and that trend sharply increased over time, too.

If he can get enough money in the bag and enough freedom to do what he wants, awesomeness could certainly follow. But it's a hill to climb to get there.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah. This has potential, but right now that's the majority of what it's got.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

There is always the possibility of getting money to do a big movie, but its just a matter of how much power he is willing to give up and to who.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

If he wants a series, the Dilgar War would be a good one. One person has written a fanfic about it on spacebattles, so feel free to look for and read it.

At the very least, have a comment from the Centauri about how they had to look in the mirror after the Dilgar War. The Centauri were the ones who introduced humanity to the greater galaxy. Then the Dilgar war happened, and the Centauri realized the insignificant race they had raised to FTL had just fought, bled, and died to protect other stellar races, while the Centauri were bragging about being the Lion of the Galaxy. That day, the Centauri had to look in the mirror and see what they had descended to, and it was not a good day.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I wish they can do a remastered version with all new SFX and CGI. I know that would be pretty expensive for a mere remaster.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

G'Kar is one of my favorite characters in the history of sci-fi tv... My only fear in a reboot would be the failure of his "new" character.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I think the failure will come from not being able to hold up to the G'Kar vs. Mollari arguments. It will be hard to have two actors duplicate that dynamic.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

If he does reboot the series, it will be interesting to see how he manages to smoosh 5 years of story into a couple hours. Even if we focus only on the Shadow War and the Earth Civil War, that's a great deal of material.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Maybe in the reboot B5 sides with the Shadows and Londo becomes Emperor of the Universe.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...