Picard spoileriffic discussion of the actual episodes

Star Trek : Picard
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: Picard spoileriffic discussion of the actual episodes

Post by DSG2k »

Oddly enough, the JL thing is actually the least bothersome thing they've done, to me. After all, the folks at the Academy called him Johnny.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

DSG2k wrote:Oddly enough, the JL thing is actually the least bothersome thing they've done, to me. After all, the folks at the Academy called him Johnny.
They were all new cadets/graduates.

But the Jean Luc Picard who commanded the E-D would never let a subordinate call him that. He let Beverly call him "Jean Luc", but she was the only one who even got that. It doesn't kill the show for me, but it does bother me every time she says it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

Graham Kennedy wrote: They were all new cadets/graduates.

But the Jean Luc Picard who commanded the E-D would never let a subordinate call him that.
Exactly. The thesis would be that he either (1) mellowed a bit more post-Nemesis, following on from the AGT poker game (though that crew would've never tried to go informal for most scenarios), (2) met her under informal circumstances sufficient to enable it's continued use, or (3) shared some experience that produced a personal bond sufficient to enable it.

Any of those could make for a good flashback, which is why this writing team will probably never go there. Either it will be the proverbial unexplained scar, or they'll go with a fourth option . . . she's just that awesomely indispensible and irreverent, and Picard just takes it because she's so overpoweringly amazing and turns him into Jake Skypicard.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

I find you really hard with the writing team...

in 4 episodes they assembled a crew were each character is more charismatic that all the charisma of the crew of the Discovery and the Orville combined... and each flashback gave us what we needed about the lore: what are Picard's nightmare, what reapply happened on Mars, and why Picard wasn't available on Mars and why he left Starfleet.

It feel strange to see Picard called JL, but he clearly softened between the end of TNG and Nemesis (the way he jokes at Troi's wedding), and he was already softer than at the begining of TNG...

I think writers see both Raffi and Elnor as possible spiritual daughters and sons who were both betrayed by the (grand) paternal figure of Picard, a relational we didn't have before as age gap wasn't as big between Picard and Riker.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

Charisma is subjective. Captain Georgiou was charismatic as all get-out, despite the horrid writing of the pilot that made her seem an ill-prepared and silly person. Pike radiated it, and even Tilly had her moments.

The Orville folks aren't designed for charisma in the classic sense. They all have a cringy element for cheap jokes, with the possible exception of the new security toughie.

STP is riding on the natural, historic charisma of Picard and/or Stewart, yet seems to undercut this at every opportunity by giving everyone either a grudge against him or a view of him as a silly old man. It's unusual, to say the least.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

DSG2k wrote:Charisma is subjective. Captain Georgiou was charismatic as all get-out, despite the horrid writing of the pilot that made her seem an ill-prepared and silly person. Pike radiated it, and even Tilly had her moments.

The Orville folks aren't designed for charisma in the classic sense. They all have a cringy element for cheap jokes, with the possible exception of the new security toughie.

STP is riding on the natural, historic charisma of Picard and/or Stewart, yet seems to undercut this at every opportunity by giving everyone either a grudge against him or a view of him as a silly old man. It's unusual, to say the least.
Well I don't see what's surprise you. An old retired admiral who didn't had any command during 15 years and who is also suffering, but it's not yet know, of a probable first stage of Irumodic Syndrom choose 1) to shit on the peoples who could help him officially and then 2) recruit peoples who have grudges against him because he doesn't want to risk the lives of closest friends.

With a more advanced illness, Picard suffered a lot more backlash in All Good Things than he do in Picard.

In fact I would say Picard is living by the trope Reality Ensue.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

The "risk the lives" thing is just a writing conceit to not have to bring back the whole TNG crew, or even substantial parts, on a recurring basis. If you're sold on the series then it's an adequate excuse, I suppose, alongside the new evil Starfleet stuff that lets them play Star Trek: Renegades.

However, comparison to AGT doesn't work in STP's favor. He got help from friends even when they didn't come along (e.g. Worf). Frankly, the AGT quest setup makes more sense than what's been done so far.

But, if it works for you, do enjoy.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So episode five.

Still slow paced, but at least things are beginning to happen somewhat, so that's good.

It's become very noticeable to me just how much of a "useless old man" Picard is on this show. I was talking about this earlier, and he really reminds me of Luke in The Last Jedi some; hidden away on his vinyard/island, a broken man who thinks his time is over. Picard has gone off to at least try and be pro-active and fight the good fight again, but the show seems to go out of its way to have people constantly point out how useless he is.

Take his little talk with seven when she wanted to kill the baddie tonight. He gives her his little Picard Speech, live and let live and all that. And she agrees. Awww, he's made the world a better place. And then she beams down, makes a comment about how out of touch he is, and kills her anyway.

It's also noticeable to me that pretty much everyone who tells him off like this is a woman. In fact there's really very few men in this show who are the brave, adventurous, tough, rough types. The men in the show tend to be quite passive or female-dominated.

Nice to see Seven again. I'm curious why her face implants all seem to be black now. 25% different?

I thought Maddox was going to have a much bigger role in the show, so weird that he got offed so quick. And why didn't they get the original actor to play him? He's still alive, surely he would have been willing?

Anyway, half way in now.

By the way, here's the RLM gang's latest on the show :

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

That start where people just couldn't say "Oh yeah she's the former borg that was rescued by VOYAGER THE SHIP THAT SPENT SEVEN YEARS IN THE DELTA QUADRANT" ... :picard:

but the part that gave me actual nightmares!? ... The reason episode 5 was the last straw for me, and wont be watching episode 6 onward (and cancelling my prime subscription as it was the only thing left of the service keeping me there.)
... Icheb.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So there's a question... does Picard himself have any Borg parts left inside him? He was only a Borg for a couple of days, and Beverly did say she could remove the parts... but every single one?
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Graham Kennedy wrote:So there's a question... does Picard himself have any Borg parts left inside him? He was only a Borg for a couple of days, and Beverly did say she could remove the parts... but every single one?
Good question... We know he always worried it wasn't the case and he was able to hear them in First Contact
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

I saw a video of the "dismantling" and it was gruesome, but the damage seemed limited to his eye and nose that I could see. Why would Seven shoot him?
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Because he knew they would not stop with just the implants in his head... and remember where his cortical node was? a 2 or 3 inch rod essentially stuck lengthwise through his forehead into his brain, and THAT is what they were looking for? (Their comment of where is it and then seven showing up is like... 'yeah you didn't find it, it found you!)

His plea to seven made sense, people powerful enough to essentially snatch him up and mad enough to do all that without, as seven later said, any anaesthetic... they ripped his EYEBALL OUT.

And we don't know just how many implants Icheb actually has in his body.
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

He knew they wouldn't stop? Seven had just shot them.

His cortical node? It should've been in Seven, and the glowing step bit that Romulamengele was about to use to go hunting for it never made contact.

The tray into which his eye was placed had his nose piece and one other object in it, but nothing large or as important as a cortical node. He had a chest wound but nothing suggesting mortal injury.

Per Voyager, the whole concept of this is nonsense anyway. I could make a ton more money than these idiots simply by keeping an ex-Borg on the payroll and occasionally grabbing enough nanoprobes from the area of assimilation tubules to assimilate some clone or other, without all the risk of capture and murder.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

By They I mean in general, the group that the individuals seven shot belonged to.