"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Star Trek: Picard | NYCC Trailer | CBS All Access

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Flashback, I'd imagine.

Notice they've changed the design for... whatever reason. Some sort of rim at the bottom of the neck, and stripes across the neck. Detailing added at the front of the pylons. Looks like they're redesigned the whole surface.

Click to embiggen.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Flashback, I'd imagine.

Notice they've changed the design for... whatever reason. Some sort of rim at the bottom of the neck, and stripes across the neck. Detailing added at the front of the pylons. Looks like they're redesigned the whole surface.

Click to embiggen.

based on discovery's experience, they could have done far worse...
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

I would say they tried to add more visible hull plating....

In motion we don't really see it. I didn't noticed it before you told us about.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote:I would say they tried to add more visible hull plating....

i think so

it looks fairly good and reasonably faithful to the original...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

bladela wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:I would say they tried to add more visible hull plating....

i think so

it looks fairly good and reasonably faithful to the original...
Yes indeed. We have to remember Galaxy existed as a three different models (2, 4 and 6 foot models) that didn't all had the same hull details and the CGI model for Generation was based on 6 foot and the CGI model for DS9 was based on 4 foot.. but they are low poly so Enterprise used a third CGI model mixing both 6 and 4 models. And looking at Memory Alpha, the CGI model used for Blu-Ray TNG clearly feature more hull details than what was visibles before. So discovering never seen details on 4K CGI models that were absent or not showed on 1080p CGI model of Enterprise / TNG-Remastered, details that didn't existed on physical models / 480p CGI models isn't surprising.

If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

One thing I've really disliked about recent Trek is the ship designs. They seem to range from awful to just plain bizarre.

So I have to say, if a TOS-style Romulan ship and the E-D are in this series, that's a very hopeful sign indeed.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Graham Kennedy wrote:One thing I've really disliked about recent Trek is the ship designs. They seem to range from awful to just plain bizarre.

So I have to say, if a TOS-style Romulan ship and the E-D are in this series, that's a very hopeful sign indeed.
the problem was, in my opinion, that Starfleet Discovery's design would have been reasonably good for a post-tng era fleet , but completely absurd for a pre-tos (but I also apply this a little to JJ's movies)

so, for once, perhaps, they didn't do a monstrous bullshit... but I remain on guard
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

bladela wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:One thing I've really disliked about recent Trek is the ship designs. They seem to range from awful to just plain bizarre.

the problem was, in my opinion, that Starfleet Discovery's design would have been reasonably good for a post-tng era fleet , but completely absurd for a pre-tos (but I also apply this a little to JJ's movies)

so, for once, perhaps, they didn't do a monstrous bullshit... but I remain on guard
Not only that, every ship I saw in Discovery was just awful. Discovery itself sucked (I knew the show would suck the second I saw it), but the Klingon ships were universally terrible. And I don't even know what Stella's ship and the Emperor's ship were supposed to be. They just looked like random piles of crap.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
bladela wrote:

Not only that, every ship I saw in Discovery was just awful. Discovery itself sucked (I knew the show would suck the second I saw it), but the Klingon ships were universally terrible. And I don't even know what Stella's ship and the Emperor's ship were supposed to be. They just looked like random piles of crap.
I totally agree about Klingon ships...

But for Federation ship they looked less advanced than TNG but more advanced than TOS... They looked more like an intermediary step between ENT and TMP if TOS didn't existed... I think that's why there is so many negative reactions to them. They negate TOS too much.

and Ephraim and Dot show that even under Kirk command, the Enterprise got Discovery look, not TOS.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Contains a clip in the beginning where Picard tells why he left Starfleet.

The clip:
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Ok so because of Children of Mars, second 9.11 equivalent in Star Trek History after the Xindi attack, UFP Starfleet decided to follow the step of the USA against synthetic beings instead of the steps of UE Starfleet, Picard couldn't do what Archer did so he resigned in protest....
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote:Ok so because of Children of Mars, second 9.11 equivalent in Star Trek History after the Xindi attack, UFP Starfleet decided to follow the step of the USA against synthetic beings instead of the steps of UE Starfleet, Picard couldn't do what Archer did so he resigned in protest....
so in fact they weren't already starfleet anymore...