Picard rumour/speculation

Star Trek : Picard

Picard rumour/speculation

Postby Graham Kennedy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:46 pm

So here's a... not even sure to call it a rumour. It's a speculation, basically. But an interesting one. I post it merely for discussion, with no claim that it is so.

The gist :

Patrick Stewart is too old to do an ongoing series.
He's also too likely expensive to do an ongoing series.

Therefore... the plan is to have Picard die at the end of season 1. The ship he and his band of merry men have used for the season will then be christened the "Picard".

Mild support... Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise and Discovery have all been named for the titular ship, NOT the main character. This would make the Picard title a bit of a trick - we all think it's for Picard, but it's actually another example of naming the show for the ship.

I don't want to think this is true. But... well.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Picard rumour/speculation

Postby Sonic Glitch » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:07 pm

I mean, if we're speculating based on bait and switch name conventions:

"Star Trek: Picard" is actually a Mintakan docudrama telling the story of the life and times and tribulations of The Picard during the rise of a new religion on Mintaka 3 similar to Terras "King of Kings" or "The Ten Commandments."
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Postby Atekimogus » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Graham Kennedy wrote:So here's a... not even sure to call it a rumour. It's a speculation, basically. But an interesting one. I post it merely for discussion, with no claim that it is so.
The gist :

Patrick Stewart is too old to do an ongoing series.
He's also too likely expensive to do an ongoing series.

Therefore... the plan is to have Picard die at the end of season 1. The ship he and his band of merry men have used for the season will then be christened the "Picard".

Mild support... Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise and Discovery have all been named for the titular ship, NOT the main character. This would make the Picard title a bit of a trick - we all think it's for Picard, but it's actually another example of naming the show for the ship.

I don't want to think this is true. But... well.

Haven't watched the video yet but from the gist.....yes, it is true. He is too old. There is - imho - no way he is going to make a multiple seasons series anymore. So either dropping him after a season or keep it a limited one season series makes sense. (Tbh....I never expected more than a mini-series anyhow).

That being said....him dying might not be a bad thing. Everyone dies at some point. If it is handled well I see no problem with that. I highly doubt that they are capable of handling that, but again...if handled well this could be a great thing.

I see the bigger problem in the show named after a ship "Picard". It won't be a "Starfleet" ship I suppose so what are we getting here exactly? I "vigilante" ship? In Star Trek? I am not sure I want to see that.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Graham Kennedy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:20 pm

The thing that springs to my mind as a comparison is the HMS Bounty from Star Trek IV.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nutso » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:21 pm

Ready to meet Picard's daughter? Go with us down this rabbit hole as we prove to you exactly why we think that is exactly who you are about it meet!

Someone is putting his own detailed in-universe speculation on the mystery girl.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Postby Nutso » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:28 pm

I think this counts as speculation.

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral