Episode 4 : If the Stars Should Appear (spoiler thread)

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Episode 4 : If the Stars Should Appear (spoiler thread)

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So we're four episodes in, and I figured The Orville should have its own subforum.

I am loving this show! When we were hearing about it, my great hope was that we would get a show that wasn't a constant stream of random jokes and fart/knob gags like Family Guy - I wanted serious science fiction with some humour added.

And that is exactly what Seth MacFarlane has given us. I could not be happier with the tone, look and feel of this show! It's lighthearted but willing to have serious moments. It's rooted in the characters, without being dependent on special effects. We are learning things about every single character as we go on, and they are all quite interesting and fun to watch.

The latest episode obviously owed a lot to TOS's "For The World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky". But I thought it was different enough in the execution to be worth watching. Love the Liam Neeson cameo - and apparently Chalize Theron is due to appear shortly. My impression is that Seth has a lot of celebrity friends, and is pulling them in to help his show out. Which is fine by me.

So what do you guys think of episode 4?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Episode 4 : If the Stars Should Appear (spoiler thread)

Post by T'Pau »

I was so happy to see something so clearly 'Trek' inspired, after STD. From the soundtrack, to the storyline, to the surprise guest shot, had me continually saying 'I'm so happy' and clapping my hands. Thanks Seth, for not going completely schoolboy humor and approaching storytelling with a clear direction and and flowing dialogue. Please, FOX..renew this series!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Just keeps getting better. The humor is present, even obvious when the gags demand it, but never detracts from the stories. Couldn't be happier with the way the show is working out.

As far as this specific episode, the only nit I have to pick is that there wasn't mass hysteria among the populace when they opened the dome. I mean, talk about a paradigm shift! LOVED the opening scene ending with Kryden on the couch, eating ice cream and watching The Sound of Music.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
DonP
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by DonP »

This show just gets better and better. It hit every note almost perfectly. I say almost, only because I felt the torture was dismissed a little too easily. That should have been allowed to sink in a bit better, I think.

What I love most about the series is that every criticism of STD is met with "You can't". You can't make a show that looks like TOS. You can't make an episodic series. You can't do bright and optimistic. And MacFarlane is saing, "Oh, yeah? Hold my beer."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Watching episode 4 made me tear up. Not because it was sad, but it was what we have missed for so many years. It was a Trek episode at heart.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Love the show. I feel like STD was a real let down... as STDs tend to be!
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-