The Orville

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The Orville

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:it really felt like a Star Trek episode. You could very easily set this in the post-TNG era. The world of the Union has the same kind of clean, pleasant future that Trek does so well.
It seemed obvious that 'Trek was the template, but I have no issue with that. It wasn't hyperbolic enough to mimic an actual parody, like Galaxy Quest was; and in the final analysis there is a crew/milieu dynamic that unites a paradigm among almost all similar SF TV.
Graham Kennedy wrote:The actors are all decent. The characters are quirky enough to differentiate them, but the actors are comfortable enough in the roles that you didn't get the stiffness that you often do in pilot episodes.
Agreed 100%. Very significantly, I thought the actors who weren't either McFarlane or Palicki managed to avoid becoming set dressing.
T'Pau wrote:As with any premiere episode, it gave you just enough about the characters to hold your interest, and not so much as you would know the whole scoop about any single individual.
I thought this fulfilled that criterion very well, better than many pilots.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
DonP
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by DonP »

Absolutely loved it. It completely worked as a (nearly) straight Sci-fi show, almost all of the jokes hit just right, and the cast did a tremendous job. I expect people who tuned in for Seth MacFarlane's name will be very upset, so it'll take some heat from that corner, but I personally can't wait for the next one.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

This has been reasonably enjoyable, but I fear it'll be lost somewhere between "Light hearted sci-fi" and "sci-fi parody/tribute mode" and turn off a lot of viewers who would be looking for one or the other.

I agree with all of the strengths listed prior, but that odd "in the middle" makes me feel it is doomed.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Well, the show has been moved to Thursdays @ 9pm. Instead of being preempted by Fox Sunday Football, and competing with Sunday Night Football, it will be competing with Thursday Night Football.

Anyway what I'm really saying is, there's a new episode tonight.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I'm looking forward to seeing how the the guest appearances of Patrick Stewart and Scott Bakula play out. I'd also heard that Charlize Theron is also booked to appear, which is no surprise after the film she did with Seth. Not a fan of that film, but really have enjoyed her work.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Talondor
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Post by Talondor »

I like that although it has a lot of humor, it is not a full-on parody like Family Guy and American Dad. It could easily be considered a normal sci-fi space adventure show. I will definitely become a regular watcher.

Just watched tonight's episode and it looked like Liam Neeson had a bit part at the end. And it looks like Charlize Theron will be next week's guest star.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Talondor wrote: Just watched tonight's episode and it looked like Liam Neeson had a bit part at the end. And it looks like Charlize Theron will be next week's guest star.
This may be the one thing that'll save the show. As you said, it falls between parody and regular sci-fi, which doesn't seem like a recipe for mainstream success. The cross-over appeal of the star-power that MacFarlane can bring for fun cameos is nearly on "The Simpsons" level now, which may keep this fresh enough in the eyes of millennials to get a couple seasons out of the show.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I get the distinct impression that Seth really really wanted to be a Star Trek captain...and he's made it happen.

Even if the show gets cancelled after one season, he's already won.

So far it's been played much straighter than I expected but I'm interested in where it will go. And my wife was around while I was watching the second episode and she quite liked the reality TV gag (apparently she'd known of that episode of whatever it was).

Anyway I wish it well.

Also, I want more of Norm Macdonald's Yaphit.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

sunnyside wrote:I get the distinct impression that Seth really really wanted to be a Star Trek captain...and he's made it happen.

Even if the show gets cancelled after one season, he's already won.

So far it's been played much straighter than I expected but I'm interested in where it will go. And my wife was around while I was watching the second episode and she quite liked the reality TV gag (apparently she'd known of that episode of whatever it was).

Anyway I wish it well.

Also, I want more of Norm Macdonald's Yaphit.
I read somewhere that Seth McFarlane did pitch this show to CBS, though that might have just been a rumor. The show is much straighter than I expected from Seth McFarlane. I think it's classified as parody to protect themselves from a lawsuit from CBS.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:I read somewhere that Seth McFarlane did pitch this show to CBS, though that might have just been a rumor. The show is much straighter than I expected from Seth McFarlane. I think it's classified as parody to protect themselves from a lawsuit from CBS.
It would be hard to prosecute anyway - most of the stuff Orville is doing wasn't invented for Trek in the first place. He'd only have to point to Forbidden Planet to explain the common influence.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I have enjoyed this more and more as time goes on. My only dislike is the cheesy uniforms.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Bryan Moore wrote:I have enjoyed this more and more as time goes on. My only dislike is the cheesy uniforms.
The interior sets of the ship, are also a bit cheesy, but at least we can see them clearly, unlike the Discovery.

I would give the uniforms a pass, mainly because they fit the female form better than the choices made for Discovery.

Really enjoying the show, and looking forward to more. I hope FOX renews it.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

sunnyside wrote:Also, I want more of Norm Macdonald's Yaphit.
Does Yaphit have a job on the ship, aside from penis and awkward sex jokes?

Maybe he is the Orville version of a Horta male...what?...it could happen...lol
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

I finally(!) got around to watching the first episode tonight on Hulu. I thought it was decent. Not awesome but it was fun and enough for me to come back for episode two.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

T'Pau wrote:
sunnyside wrote:Also, I want more of Norm Macdonald's Yaphit.
Does Yaphit have a job on the ship, aside from penis and awkward sex jokes?

Maybe he is the Orville version of a Horta male...what?...it could happen...lol
He improves with time :)
email, ergo spam