Season 2 guest stars?

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Season 2 guest stars?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Marina Sirtis may be appearing? Or did she just go to hang out?

John Billingsley is confirmed for an episode

Tim Russ has worked on an episode - directing or producing, though?

One wonders about Patrick Stewart. Does Seth see him as the Great White Whale of guest stars?!?!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Season 2 guest stars?

Post by Mikey »

The hero worship can go too far, methinks, if they get folks just for what they’ve done rather than what they can do. Of course, Sir Patrick has worked extensively with McFarlane before, so...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

STLV18: Jonathan Frakes Reveals Ted Danson And More Stars Join Marina Sirtis In His ‘The Orville’ Episode
However Frakes had more to reveal, saying creator Seth MacFarlane gave him permission to announced more guest stars for his latest The Orville episode. Joining Sirtis and playing admirals for the Planetary Union will be F. Murray Abraham (Ru’afo in Star Trek: Insurrection) and Ron Canada (who has guest starred three times for Star Trek). Tony Todd (who played three different characters in Star Trek including Worf’s brother Kurn) will be playing a Moclan. And perhaps the biggest surprise Frakes had to announce is Cheers and The Good Place star Ted Danson also appears in this same episode.
Click the link because it's got some nice images.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

"She recalled Barrett telling her that Roddenberry felt there was “one too many women” on the show and that “you don’t really need a psychologist.” Sirits believes that if it weren’t for Denise Crosby leaving the show during the first season, she would have been fired, saying “she saved my job.”"

That's interesting.

It's my observation that Trek has always struggled to depict women well. They don't often seem to know what to do with female characters, so they frequently get handed some quirk or oddity - Troi the Empath, Tasha from the ruined colony, Dax the joined Trill, B'Elanna the half Klingon, Seven of Nine the ex Borg, T'Pol the Vulcan, etc. It's by no means universal - Crusher wasn't anything weird. But then they hardly ever used Crusher outside being 'the doctor' and 'might fancy Picard'.

I really wish they had found a way to keep Shelby on the show. Which was actually a consideration, because they were thinking of writing Picard out and making Riker the Captain with Shelby as his XO, IIRC. I don't know if I'd consider losing Stewart a good trade, but I loved Shelby as a character precisely because she was just a normal person, but a very well drawn one. Smart, competent, you knew exactly what she wanted, what her goals were, at all times.

Likewise, I wish we had seen more of Nechayev. Another smart, determined lady, pragmatic rather than idealistic, brusque, etc. I know she showed up on DS9, but I would have love to see her being a recurring character there - in command of the area which DS9 was in, perhaps. Would make sense since she seemed to be a bigwig where the Cardassians were concerned. Make her the 'go to Admiral' whenever Sisko has to deal with higher authority. And eventually use her as the Admiral Ross character during the war.

It's one reason I like Kelly in The Orville. Great character, smart, tough, but also not perfect. Alara does fall into the 'she's the strong one' category, which is one reason I like that they twice did episodes about her and both times it wasn't about that. (The fear one and the zoo one). And the Doctor... not so much of a fan of her character, but they're giving her a life outside sickbay, kids, single parent, etc. They're all good solid characters and the show has served them pretty well in season one.

And of course we've had a decent female guest star character in Pria. Interesting character, and you could hardly hope for a better actress in the role.

And another great thing - you don't hear anybody from the show banging on about diversity and how great it is that this show serves female characters so well. They're not trying to score political points, they just go and do it. I love that.

So yeah, I hope Sirtis is getting to do something interesting in her episode. Fingers crossed.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, so just for fun I went through the IMDB page for The Orville and checked every single actor listed there to find that ones that have been in Star Trek (isn't this how you have fun?) I omitted video games, stunt performers, and people who played "voice" roles. Here's the list I came up with. I tried to put the most important or obvious character (from either show) at the top :

Seth McFarlane : Engineer guy on ENT - Captain Mercer.

Robert Picardo : The EMH on VOY - Ildis Kitan, Alara's father, in "Firestorm".

Penny Johnson Jerald : Kassidy Yates on DS9 - Doctor Claire Finn.

Scott Grimes : Eric on TNG (uncredited) - Lt Gordon Malloy. (I had no idea!)

Steven Culp : Major Hayes on ENT - Willks the publicist in "Majority Rule".

Brian George : Richard Bashir on DS9, Ambassador O'Zaal on VOY - Dr Aronov in "Old Wounds".

Brian Thompson : Toman'torax and Inglatu on DS9, a Klingon Helmsman in Star Trek : Generations, Klag in TNG, Admiral Valdore in ENT - Drogen in "Into The Fold". (I had no idea this guy had so many roles!)

Ron Canada : Fesek on VOY - Admiral Tucker, "Majority Rule" and "Command Performance".

Molly Hagan : Eris on DS9 - Drenala Kitan, Alara's mother, in "Firestorm".

Robert Kenepper : Gaul in VOY - Hamelac, "If the Stars Should Appear".

Joel Swetow : Andorian Ambassador Thoris in ENT, Yog in TNG, Gul Jasad in DS9 - Krill Captain in "Old Wounds".

Loren Lester : Attendant in DS9 - Lewis in "Majority Rule".

Brett Rickaby : Yedrin Koss in ENT - Lurenek in "Command Performance".

James Horan : Dr. Jo'Bril and Lieutenant Barnaby in TNG and 'Humanoid Figure' AKA 'Future Guy' in ENT, Ikat'ika in DS9, Tosin in VOY - Sazeron in "Krill".

J. Paul Boehmer : SS Agent, Officer, and Mestral in ENT - Navarian Ambassador in "Cupid's Dagger".

Philip Anthony-Rodriguez : Juan in ENT - Fadolin in "Mad Idolatry".

JD Cullum : Toral in TNG - Calivon Zoo Administrator in "Command Performance".

Derek Mears : Orion Guard in ENT - Bruidian Ambassador in "Cupid's Dagger".

Lamont Thompson : Alien Pilgrim in ENT - Kaybrak in "About a Girl".

D. Elliot Woods : Nausicaan Prisoner in ENT, Starfleet Officer in Star Trek: Insurrection - Moclan Council Foreman in "About a Girl".

Gwen Van Dam : El Aurian Survivor in Star Trek : Generations - Grandmother in "Majority Rule".

Corey Mendell Parker : Paul Mayweather in ENT - Policeman #1 in "Majority Rule".

Matt Kaminsky : Crewman #2 and Cunningham in ENT : Interviewer in "Majority Rule".

And now the upcoming ones for season 2 :

John Billingsley : Dr. Phlox in ENT - Cambis in "Home".

Marina Sirtis : Deanna Troi on TNG and VOY - Unknown character in unnamed episode.

Tony Todd : Kurn in TNG and DS9, Jake Sisko in DS9, Alpha Hirogen in VOY - A Moclan in an unnamed episode.

Stephen Blackehart : Starfleet Officer in DS9 - Krill Second Officer in unnamed episode.

Robert Curtis Brown : Ambassador in VOY - Chief Advisor Makkal in unnamed episode.

F. Murray Abraham : Ru’afo in Star Trek: Insurrection - Unknown character in unnamed episode.

That's quite a list! Many more than I would have guessed at.