Discovery Season 2 - (spoilers)

Discovery
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Discovery Season 2 - (spoilers)

Post by Atekimogus »

Finished season 2 now and I have to say....the whole series is a damn shame with LOTS of wasted potential and some uncomprehensable decisions ruining the whole show. There is actually quite a few good things to say about the show. The production values are great. The costumes, aliens and sets look better than any Star Trek before! The intro and sound design is nice...actually.....let us be honest.....the WHOLE Art department on the show is great. (Apart from the Discovery herself being an ugly reject...but I come to accept it. The hero ship doesn't "need" to be beautiful...).

What ruined the show is the missing attention to detail and generally the style of writing, which seems to be modelled on the Abrahmsverse...nobody can stand still for 2 mins....everybody is under constant stress and duress....there is no breathing room to actually get to know and start to care for characters.

But the ultimate failing of the show is it's insistance to ride the nostalgia train while at the same time ignoring much of the continuity. Do away with that and the show could have been actually quite good.

Just imagine how easy it is to fix Discovery. Instead of setting it 10 years BEFORE TOS....make the setting 10 years AFTER DS9. BOOM. You fix everything. You have never before seen aliens...no problem. You have ships and sets looking more advanced. Also not a problem. You have an unique mode of transport on a science vessel. Sounds like a great premise. Heck, put the story in the future, keep everything the same and do away with all the NOSTALGIC family connections nobody of the target audience (millenials) gives a shit about ANYHOW....and it still works.

The same is true for the second season. Instead of Pike have one of the other captains or crew or "nostalgia" propenents show up (idk...Maybe have Riker take over for awhile...or Worf..or even Nog..doesn't really matter) and....the same storyline still works exactly the same.

It is just so mindboogingly stupid and regretfull......the people who would enjoy the nostalgia are those who would also wish for continuity....and those of the younger ones who never have seen previous Treks...they don't need these nostalgia fixes because they have no idea in the first place who Sarek, Spock, Pike etc. are......so WHO EXACTLY is served by all this? I just don't get it......

It is a shame because, as I said, the show would be good enough to stand on its own, if it would pace itself more (doing away with all the stupid everyone can be everywhere instantly if it moves the plot forward) and maybe have 20 episodes per season with their share of "filler" episodes which are actually quite important for character development. Shame about this missed opportunity imho.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Discovery Season 2 - (spoilers)

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I totally agree on the above.

And like ENT, because it is set before other shows, the sloppy writing of the early shows cripple it in later shows, ENT simply couldn't come back from the bad decisions of Season 1.

Star Trek never went wrong with setting shows in the future, the second things went back in time... they never lasted, as they were so limited in their scope. There is Zero, and I mean Zero sense in it. If you really want to do the wild west and early Trek, do a new show. Honestly I am loving the Orville because it is an homage trek, but not trek.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Teaos wrote:Yeah I totally agree on the above.

And like ENT, because it is set before other shows, the sloppy writing of the early shows cripple it in later shows, ENT simply couldn't come back from the bad decisions of Season 1.

Star Trek never went wrong with setting shows in the future, the second things went back in time... they never lasted, as they were so limited in their scope. There is Zero, and I mean Zero sense in it. If you really want to do the wild west and early Trek, do a new show. Honestly I am loving the Orville because it is an homage trek, but not trek.
I think you can do it, but you have to be much more attentive to detail if you don't want to upset old fans while you try to find new ones ... Coto was succeeding but they stopped everything in the middle of the work ...
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
Startrekanmore
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Startrekanmore »

STD season two spoilers- It's STILL bad folks!