Should DITL now include Discovery?

Discovery
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Should DITL now include Discovery?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So as you know, DITL hasn't touched Discovery except for having polls about it.

However, I am thinking of changing that. Why? Because as far as I can see, Discovery is now confirmed as being part of a non-Prime timeline. The appearance of the USS Enterprise, looking markedly different from the Prime one, says to me that Discovery is an alternate timeline.

So if I did include stuff, it would be on that basis. Another timeline.

The question would be, is it the JJ Verse or a different one?

Best I know, the earliest event referenced in Discovery is Burnham meeting Sarek in the early 2230s. So that's potentially after Nero arrived in 2233... or not.

What do we think? JJ, or not JJ?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DonP
Senior chief petty officer

Re: Should DITL now include Discovery?

Post by DonP »

From everything I see, it can't be JJ. The JJprise won't be launched for another two years and while this Enterprise doesn't really look like the Prime, it looks even less like the JJ. Only leaves yet another alternate.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

If we are positing alternate universes, I see no reason to identify the DSC-verse with the JJ-verse.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sorry, just thinking; notwithstanding the bullshit about DSC Klingons having different genomes for different houses, wouldn’t the complete dissimilarity between JJ Klingons and DSC Klingons be evidence for separate universes?
as Bull offed Custer
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Well well well.... Klingon being different is still stupid and make no sense but for the Enterprise being different it would be easy to explain in two ways:

FIRST: the Enterprise didn't visit any station and did not update weapon and uniforms during the five years mission in which the Cage happen.

Second: they updated styke because Discovery is not targeted at us, but try to expand our numbers by targeting new public.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

FIRST: This is obviated by the fact that ENT addressed the Klingon Forehead Problem, albeit clumsily, IU.

SECOND: The obvious OOU reasons for why DSC did what it did don’t change the fact of it occurring IU.
as Bull offed Custer
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Mikey wrote:FIRST: This is obviated by the fact that ENT addressed the Klingon Forehead Problem, albeit clumsily, IU.

That's a real issue. DISC always reference ENT but do not respect that point.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:If we are positing alternate universes, I see no reason to identify the DSC-verse with the JJ-verse.
There are a fair few visual links between the two. The "bullet warp jump" effect, the "pew pew" phasers and combat model, the big bridge windows on the ship, etc.
Sorry, just thinking; notwithstanding the bullshit about DSC Klingons having different genomes for different houses, wouldn’t the complete dissimilarity between JJ Klingons and DSC Klingons be evidence for separate universes?
That is a good point. The JJ Klingons can be reconciled, just, with the real thing. But the Klingorcs are out of place in any established universe.

Which would make Discovery a wholly new universe. I could buy that. The Disco universe!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Are we going to blatantly ignore the production word of God that it is in the prime universe? Are we as a community so arrogant as to think we know better than the production company?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Are we going to blatantly ignore the production word of God that it is in the prime universe? Are we as a community so arrogant as to think we know better than the production company?
Yep.
as Bull offed Custer
DonP

Post by DonP »

Given the pretty overwhelming evidence that they don't give a wet monkey crap abut us, I'm going with yep.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

And I thought the Star Wars fans bitching about the Last Jedi were bad.

"Markedly different?" I actually think the new Enterprise looks remarkably more respectful of the Cage version. They made some things glow that didn't before (curse there extra effects budget! Childhood ruined) and redid the impulse engines a bit, which frankly it's comparatively minor compared to the JJ Prise.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Are we going to blatantly ignore the production word of God that it is in the prime universe? Are we as a community so arrogant as to think we know better than the production company?
I don't see why not. They ignore us, after all.

More seriously and less snidely... behind the scenes interviews given by producers are not and never have been regarded as canonical, yes? So why shouldn't they be ignored? They always have been.

And I have no problem taking the producers on-screen choices over their behind the scenes claims.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:And I thought the Star Wars fans bitching about the Last Jedi were bad.

"Markedly different?" I actually think the new Enterprise looks remarkably more respectful of the Cage version. They made some things glow that didn't before (curse there extra effects budget! Childhood ruined) and redid the impulse engines a bit, which frankly it's comparatively minor compared to the JJ Prise.
And slanted the nacelle pylons back. And reshaped the aft end of the engineering hull. And lowered the saucer and nacelles closer to the body. And added considerable structure to the back third or so of the saucer. And added another shuttlebay between the impulse engines. And reshaped elements of the nacelles.

And that's just at first glance.

It's fine, as a "here's what it would look like if it were done today" kind of deal, which is what I suspect the producers have in mind when they say they're "sticking to canon'. But do you really think that the ship we saw in The Cage two years before was rebuilt into this? And then rebuilt back into Kirk's TOS ship? And then rebuilt again into the TMP refit?

Honestly asking, is that your take on what is supposed to have happened to this ship?
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I would consider Discovery to be an alternate universe from Prime and JJVerse. But I'd definitely like to see Discovery information on this site.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."