Is this worth watching?

Discovery
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Is this worth watching?

Post by Monroe »

In my mind the first two episode make a great story beginning and ending. Michael gets sent off to a penal world where she spends the rest of her life. Spock and co. never talk about her because she is the black sheep embarrassment of the family. These Klingons were mutated freaks who died when their ship went up. The Admiral who was in a hologram instead of paying attention is why it's not used again until DS9, etc.

Perfect.

Is it worth watching the rest of the story?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is this worth watching?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'm watching out of morbid curiosity.

I've heard it said that if you 1) Think of it as the JJ-verse, not the Prime universe 2) Think of it as being set a century or more after the JJ movies - the JJ Next Generation, pretty much - and 3) Think of the "Klingons" as a new species... then it's pretty watchable.

I'd give it a try if you can watch it without paying for it. See how you like it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

As per the 'Rumors' thread post by Graham:

"Now here's the speculation I have heard with regards to this. I will spoiler it. It's just about the biggest spoiler there could be for Discovery, if true, so be warned:
The Magic Mushroom drive is NOT allowing the ship to make instantaneous jumps through space. Rather, it is jumping the ship into different places... in parallel universes. Those universes are just so similar to their home one, thus far, that they have not noticed.

And the kicker? Sooner or later they are going to jump into the Prime timeline and encounter something that looks very like the actual TOS continuity. Which is what she's seeing in that image, perhaps?

Think of the references to Alice in Wonderland. Burnham is Alice. The hole is Discovery. Lorca is the Mad Hatter. She's gone down the hole and into a strange new world...
And remember all those rumours we heard during production, that there will be some kind of cross-reality story with different versions of the characters? This is it."

This idea will give me something to hang onto, to be able to stomach the show as a whole. If it comes to pass, great. If it doesn't, then the same morbid curiosity I already have will
still buoy me through the waves of awfulness.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

If we ever get to that point T'Pau, please let those of us who aren't yet interested know so we can catch up.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I just finished.

I have to say, I kind of liked it. Season 2 is good in most ways and fixed a lot of plot holes created in season 1. I mean, sure it created many too, like why would the Federation try for M5 so soon after Control, still no real explanation for the Klingon look, etc. I look forward to Strange New Worlds and am curious how the Section 31 show will go -- I really liked the Empress of the Terran Empire. I'm okay if there's no Season 3 but I'd also be curious about the far flung future. If they did go that far into the future I'm worried they would reuse DSC assets like they did while filming Picard.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Monroe wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:05 am I just finished.

I have to say, I kind of liked it. Season 2 is good in most ways and fixed a lot of plot holes created in season 1. I mean, sure it created many too, like why would the Federation try for M5 so soon after Control, still no real explanation for the Klingon look, etc. I look forward to Strange New Worlds and am curious how the Section 31 show will go -- I really liked the Empress of the Terran Empire. I'm okay if there's no Season 3 but I'd also be curious about the far flung future. If they did go that far into the future I'm worried they would reuse DSC assets like they did while filming Picard.
Yeah not a fan of the concept of Control and Section 31 being involved. But I can deal with it, but then again you are right about M5.

Also Discovery has a Michael problem. The center of the Galaxy revolves around her and season 2 is worse than the first season.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"