ST: Discovery Klingons Full Analysis (Trekyards)

Discovery
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

ST: Discovery Klingons Full Analysis (Trekyards)

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: ST: Discovery Klingons Full Analysis (Trekyards)

Post by stitch626 »

Something I'll add: if the Klingons we've seen for Discovery are a religious group, there could be inbreeding or other isolationistic practices leading to the unusual look.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

stitch626 wrote:Something I'll add: if the Klingons we've seen for Discovery are a religious group, there could be inbreeding or other isolationistic practices leading to the unusual look.
I think that creative and the suits want to point out to the broader audience that this isn't the same cheap Star Trek with the buttcrack on the forehead aliens of the week, that the old Star Trek properties were infused with. This is new Trek, with its own style and far higher production values. The aliens looks alien and not like a make-up job and costume.

Apologies if this comes out cynical.
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Nutso wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Something I'll add: if the Klingons we've seen for Discovery are a religious group, there could be inbreeding or other isolationistic practices leading to the unusual look.
I think that creative and the suits want to point out to the broader audience that this isn't the same cheap Star Trek with the buttcrack on the forehead aliens of the week, that the old Star Trek properties were infused with. This is new Trek, with its own style and far higher production values. The aliens looks alien and not like a make-up job and costume.

But it could be harder for the broad audience to feel something good for such alien and orc-ish looking characters compared to what we felt for Worf or B'Elanna.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

DarkMoineau wrote:
Nutso wrote:

But it could be harder for the broad audience to feel something good for such alien and orc-ish looking characters compared to what we felt for Worf or B'Elanna.
Maybe we won't get a Worf or B'Elanna. The Klingons of STD could just be like those Orcs, enemies to be cut down.
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Nutso wrote: Maybe we won't get a Worf or B'Elanna. The Klingons of STD could just be like those Orcs, enemies to be cut down.
That's what I am affraid off. An orc to be cut down is of no interest.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Why does a character have to be a supporting item on the protagonists' side to be character? We had Kang, Kor, and Koloth - whose characters were most definitely part of their stories - without any idea of Federation Klingons as referenced by B'elanna or Worf.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
DonP
Senior chief petty officer

Post by DonP »

Agree. Klingons as adversaries is one of the extremely few points that WOULD interest me about the show.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Here are the "Klingon" weapons.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DonP

Post by DonP »

Well, the pistol looks almost right in the angle of the grip and the barrel, just a lot more ornate and with a strange growth on top. Don't know that we've ever seen a klingon rifle, so I'll just say I don't care for it.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

We have indeed. And they look nothing even close to alike.

Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Nutso wrote: The Klingons of STD could just be like those Orcs, enemies to be cut down.
Hmm..I wonder if the creators/suits ever thought about their show being abreviated to "STD"...... :mrgreen: :twisted:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
DonP

Post by DonP »

Good catch. Yeah, that's nothing alike. I suppose, being as charitable as possible, that it's excusable as being 100 years apart from the one in the pic and possibly from different manufacturers. A Kalashnikov doesn't look much like an M-16, after all. Still a continuity dump, but at least an explainable one.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The absurd aspect of all this is that they expect us to believe that the people using that pistol switched to this one about a decade later.

Yeah, totally believable.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The designers of the TMP and subsequent ones at least pay homage to the TOS weapon Graham showed us. The design clearly has a similar shape if not style; the STD ( :lol: ) version is more like a wrongly coloured Hirogen rifle.

Not that anything else from STD is even close to in keeping with the lore!