Rumours, news and general speculation

Discovery
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Rumours, news and general speculation

Post by DarkMoineau »

And leaked images show an ISS Discovery construction plaque
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:But it’s already supposed to be the prime reality...
If true then it's not... and never was. They just lied about it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:So, here's a thing I saw mentioned which I missed. Remember in ep 3, when Lorca is doing the whole "bounce around the galaxy" speech to Burnham? And as he speaks, she sees images of various places. Here's one place she bounces to.

I trust we all recognise that?

Now here's the speculation I have heard with regards to this. I will spoiler it. It's just about the biggest spoiler there could be for Discovery, if true, so be warned.
The Magic Mushroom drive is NOT allowing the ship to make instantaneous jumps through space. Rather, it is jumping the ship into different places... in parallel universes. Those universes are just so similar to their home one, thus far, that they have not noticed.

And the kicker? Sooner or later they are going to jump into the Prime timeline and encounter something that looks very like the actual TOS continuity. Which is what she's seeing in that image, perhaps?

Think of the references to Alice in Wonderland. Burnham is Alice. The hole is Discovery. Lorca is the Mad Hatter. She's gone down the hole and into a strange new world...

And remember all those rumours we heard during production, that there will be some kind of cross-reality story with different versions of the characters? This is it.
I don't know what to make of that. I will wait and see, I guess.
You know, I love it. As M. Night Shyamalan would say, "What a twist!" I mean, at the very least I won't be mad about Sposk's sister anymore. Traveling to parallel universes in a little bit more mainstream in America thanks to Rick & Morty. And there was news in the past about the
Mirror, Mirror Universe
being in STD. Your hypothesis is highly plausible.
Last edited by Nutso on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

If true, I would watch it and halfheartedly apologize to CBS under my breath.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

stitch626 wrote:If true, I would watch it and halfheartedly apologize to CBS under my breath.
Nah. CBS is making us pay for Trek. I would halfheartedly apologize to the creative staff though. Alex Kurtzman has been ardently defending STD's presence in the canon, and I've been rolling my eyes, cussing at him.

I believe this article might back up Graham's post.

https://www.inverse.com/article/37357-s ... es-tos-tng
All the changes to the world of Star Trek on the new show, Discovery, will eventually be explained. One executive producer of Discovery — Alex Kurtzman — has gone on record about the existence of seemingly large inconsistencies in the new dark and gritty Trek.

Mild spoilers for the first four episodes of Star Trek: Discovery.

“We are canon,” Kurtzman said during New York Comic Con on October 8. “You’ll have to be patient with us.” He suggested that, eventually, Discovery will reconcile certain differences between the year 2255 of Lorca and Burnham and 2264 of Kirk and Spock. Apparently, quite a lot can happen in just 10 years.
"You'll have to be patient with us." If I hadn't read Grahama's post, I wouldn't have any beliefs to attach to that. But now, yeah, I think Graham is on the right track there.
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Nutso wrote:
stitch626 wrote:If true, I would watch it and halfheartedly apologize to CBS under my breath.
Nah. CBS is making us pay for Trek.

You prefer having your episode preceded, interupted and followed by boring advertisement ?

It's so much more pleasant to watch a story uninterupted even if you have to pay Netflix (or CBS for America) because after all money is needed.

And that's not like almost every people here bought Star Trek in VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray...
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

DarkMoineau wrote:
Nutso wrote:

You prefer having your episode preceded, interupted and followed by boring advertisement ?
I prefer my episodes on the the good old BBC where they don't have adverts and only cost a license fee that you're already paying anyway.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:

I prefer my episodes on the the good old BBC where they don't have adverts and only cost a license fee that you're already paying anyway.
Well it's true you have the BBC which is really ad free and not partially like France Télévision.... But both are more expensive than Netflix so if i could choose ^^
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

DarkMoineau wrote:
Nutso wrote:

Doesn't the CBS streaming thing also have adverts. I seem to remember that being a bugbear with people.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

DarkMoineau wrote:
Nutso wrote:

It's so much more pleasant to watch a story uninterupted even if you have to pay Netflix (or CBS for America) because after all money is needed.

And that's not like almost every people here bought Star Trek in VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray...
I thought the stream had ads. I remember people complaining that the there were too many ads.
Last edited by Nutso on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Then CBS all access is clearly inferior to Netflix if it had ads :/

Who would have thought it would be easier to watch Star Trek in France than America just five years ago?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Griffin wrote:Doesn't the CBS streaming thing also have adverts. I seem to remember that being a bugbear with people.
There's a cheaper version with ads, but you can pay more and get it with no ads.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Looks like you were right, Graham.
Alternate Universes.
Stan - South Park
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

So before I get excited and start posting about different episode/aspects of Star Trek (heaven forbid we discuss a new Star Trek series on a Star Trek forum), I want to do a quick roll call: Who is actually watching the show and who is writing it off as #notmystartrek? Frankly, as much as I'd like to discuss the show the sense I get is that I won't be able to do that without a lot of "it's not like star trek used to be so I don't like it." -- but maybe I'm over-emphasizing the negative.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Sonic Glitch wrote:So before I get excited and start posting about different episode/aspects of Star Trek (heaven forbid we discuss a new Star Trek series on a Star Trek forum), I want to do a quick roll call: Who is actually watching the show and who is writing it off as #notmystartrek? Frankly, as much as I'd like to discuss the show the sense I get is that I won't be able to do that without a lot of "it's not like star trek used to be so I don't like it." -- but maybe I'm over-emphasizing the negative.

My mom always told me I had to taste before saying I don't like :P

And Star Trek show are usually like diesel engine : Starting slowly and improving with time.