Rumours, news and general speculation

Discovery
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Rumours, news and general speculation

Post by Bryan Moore »

I finally read some of the Memory Alpha and spoiled this series for myself. Yeeesh, this seems like it's awful.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Problem solved.
https://imgur.com/fpaDNy5

Edit: Gave up on trying to host it. If someone else can figure it out, feel free.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Problem solved.

Edit: Gave up on trying to host it. If someone else can figure it out, feel free.

That would have looked good if Discovery took place between TOS Season 3 and TMP.... But the rest of the serie would have created the same already existing issues.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

The show should have been a reboot of the Star Trek universe, or a prequel to the Abrams-verse. I think that is the hurdle that this show has with fans. It would be easier to explore those new universes instead of reshaping the universe we've known for most of our lives.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Nutso wrote:

The show should have been a reboot of the Star Trek universe, or a prequel to the Abrams-verse. I think that is the hurdle that this show has with fans. It would be easier to explore those new universes instead of reshaping the universe we've known for most of our lives.
Or the show could have respected Star Trek lore and canon... and go where no Star Trek Show has gone before, after Nemesis....

As long as CBS and Paramount are separated we are going to see a lots of stupid ideas because of rights issues...
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

DarkMoineau wrote:
Nutso wrote:

Or the show could have respected Star Trek lore and canon... and go where no Star Trek Show has gone before, after Nemesis....

As long as CBS and Paramount are separated we are going to see a lots of stupid ideas because of rights issues...
I don't understand what's so difficult, storytelling-wise, to continue from Nemesis.

Edit: I mean, I do understand why they wanted TOS. The Original Series is the most recognized form of Star Trek with Kirk and Spock. Also Les Mooves, Ruler of CBS, reportedly didn't know the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars.
Last edited by Nutso on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Nothing....

:bangwall:
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nutso wrote:

Actually, especially after seeing that image (how did you get an image tag for it by the way? I couldn't find them on imgur when I tried to share), I think the show works best when thought of as a sequel to Enterprise, not a prequel to TOS. Enterprise already up-ended the visuals so now they decided to embrace it.

Edit: It also doesn't bother me to chalk up the differences to 40 years of television making advancement. My position has evolved since Enterprise. Previously I would've been right there with the pitchforks, but now while I love Trouble with Tribbles and In A Mirror Darkly as valentine's to the fans, I don't take the visuals as gospel.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Nutso wrote:

Actually, especially after seeing that image (how did you get an image tag for it by the way? I couldn't find them on imgur when I tried to share), I think the show works best when thought of as a sequel to Enterprise, not a prequel to TOS. Enterprise already up-ended the visuals so now they decided to embrace it.

Edit: It also doesn't bother me to chalk up the differences to 40 years of television making advancement. My position has evolved since Enterprise. Previously I would've been right there with the pitchforks, but now while I love Trouble with Tribbles and In A Mirror Darkly as valentine's to the fans, I don't take the visuals as gospel.
https://i.imgur.com/fpaDNy5.jpg

If you were doing this on Android using Chrome, press the image until the window opens and select "Open Image in New Tab" and from there you will have the direct link to the image. I don't know how it would work on the imgur app.

If you're doing this on Desktop using Firefox, right cloak on the image and select "Copy image location." If you're using Chrome select "Copy image address." These should both lead you to "https://i.imgur.com/fpaDNy5.jpg."

Back to Discovery, I did end up enjoying it. No more pitchforks, I've stopped calling the show STD. I was able to go with the flow, mushroom speed (WTF is it called?), ugly, ugly Klingons, stunningly weak Federation and all. The Mirror Universe stuff was surprisingly a blast. I will miss Jason Isaacs. What an actor. I accept that we won't get any "City on The Edge of Forever," "In the Pale Moonlight," or "Measure of a Man" from this show but, cie la vie. The Orville is giving me that fix.

Really, really curious to see the cliffhanger resolve. A fourth incarnation of Spock.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ke-1120416

'Star Trek: Discovery' Showrunners Out; Alex Kurtzman to Take Over (Exclusive)
CBS All Access' Star Trek: Discovery is making its second showrunner change.

Out are Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts, who originally took over the role at the helm of the drama from Bryan Fuller. Executive producer Alex Kurtzman, who has guided the franchise (and a few of its feature films), will take over as showrunner on season two. As part of the change, Kurtzman will now also oversee the Discovery writers room for season two.

"We’ve made some producer changes at Star Trek: Discovery. The series continues under the creative vision and leadership of executive producer and co-creator Alex Kurtzman. Discovery remains on course for season two in 2019 with new and continuing stories that build on its successful premiere season," producers CBS Television Studios said Thursday in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

Sources tell THR that Discovery is nearing what has been characterized as a planned production hiatus after episode five, which will allow Kurtzman time to regroup the show's writing staff. Production is not expected to be impacted by the showrunner change.
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

To be honest, I don't know if it is a good or a bad news.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I honestly can't see it making any substantive difference to the show. The kinds of issues that I have with it, at least, are things that really couldn't be fixed short of a colossal retcon.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

It will not resolves continut issues for sure but it can make things better or worse for storytelling.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Given the article states "Production on Discovery's first five episodes of season two are near completion, with Kurtzman likely taking over for episode six and beyond" it won't make any difference unless they're going to do a huge switch mid season.
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Star Trek: Discovery's Spock Will Be Very Different From the Version You Know
Alas, Spock is definitely headed to Star Trek: Discovery in Season 2 but he won't be the cool-headed Vulcan you know from the original Star Trek series. After dropping the big news that the OG character was headed to Discovery at Comic-Con, new showrunner Alex Kurtzman shared even more details about Spock's much-anticipated appearance, and it looks like there's some major family drama ahead.

"This is not entirely the Spock who has been formed enough to be the Spock that we know from TOS. There's a lot of story about who Spock was before he becomes the Spock that is the yin-yang to Kirk," Kurtzman told TV Guide. "What I'm so excited about is that we have an opportunity to present a version of Spock that's both totally consistent with the Spock everyone knows but very, very different. And it's all gonna tie to how we sync up with canon."
Stan - South Park